30 Capper Street
|1848 Gayndah was founded on the Burnett River in 1848. |
Gayndah is Queensland’s oldest country town and was once a contender with Brisbane and Ipswich for selection as the state capital.
1892 William Seeney planted the first orchard of oranges and mandarins, which have become the backbone of Queensland’s Citrus Capital.
1957 and onwards Gayndah has celebrated its dependence with an Orange Festival which is held in June of every odd year.
The Historic Centre in Simon Street includes the 1864 cottage built for shopkeeper Alexander Walker, the old Baramba Creek School, and part of the Ban Springs homestead.
Gayndah is an attractive town with floral median strips dividing wide streets which are lined with well-preserved colonial buildings. The historical museum features one of the oldest Georgian cottages in the state and has a rare collection of antique, working farm equipment.
11 Meson Street, Gayndah:
1864-74 Frank Maundrell reports: This photograph is reproduced from "Select Documents of the Nineteenth Century, Vol. 2" Edited by Harry W. Nunn. The book was compiled from the National Australia Bank archive collection. (Something produced by NAB that includes CBC!!!).
Caption of the photo reads: "Gayndah branch of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney, inland from Brisbane, Queensland. Opened 1864, it closed ten years later. Central Record Office, National Australia Bank, Melbourne."
Gayndah is also mentioned in a reproduction of a letter accompanying the photo. It is dated 12 Dec. (18)83, from J.L. Adams, Manager Brisbane to The General Manager, Sydney. In the letter he recommends opening of branches at Townsville, Toowoomba and Cairns. He went on to say, and I quote: "...have marked Gayndah with a 2. It is recommended by the Maryborough Manager, but not very confidently, that as there is no Bank there at present it might be desirable for us to secure the opening..."
In a footnote to the letter, the Editor notes: "...Gayndah which had opened in 1864 and was closed in 1874 did not re-open..."
1874 Closed (53rd Report)
2009 June GoogleMaps photos sourced by John Beer.
1906 Opened (116th Report);
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
1982 CBC Calendar included sketch of Gayndah branch.
1983 1st January Manager Sidney Charles PYNE who was Accountant Darwin 1974-75 replaced by J J Cronin who went from Accountant Darwin to Manager Morley WA (from 1984 List of Senior Staff)
2009 June Google Maps image shows nab 30 Capper St in second CBC building with steps removed from front of entrance door replaced with wheelchair access via verandah from right hand side of building. Photo sourced by John Beer.
|Geraldton|| ||Geraldton is 83Km SE of Cairns.|
1897 Opened (99th Report)
1910 Name changed to Innisfail.
Originally leased at 22 Goondoon St,
1901 leased at 30-32 Goondoon St,
1910 at 40 Goondoon Street, cnr Yarroon St.
1911 in 2007
|1896 Opened (98th Report);|
1897 Branch commenced business in June, opened by R.G. Hobbs in rented premises now occupied as a grocery store. Premises changed four times.
1900 W.B. Thomas was appointed to replace Mr. Hobbs.
1901 Moved into larger premises which were leased for 10 years.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking.
Managers - 1913: G.E. Davidson.
1926: K.W. Middleton.
1938: L.B. Cameron.
1952: R.M. Hindmarsh.
1954: C.F. Spence.
1956: O.C. McDonald.
Cultural Heritage Significance: Principal Period of Significance 1910s (fabric) 1911-1958 (historical bank use)
Criterion A Kullaroo House, erected in 1910-11 as new premises for the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney's Gladstone branch, is important in illustrating the pattern of Queensland's history, demonstrating the renewal of business confidence in Gladstone and district in the early years of the 20th century. It was one of the CBC's more substantial regional offices, and illustrates how Gladstone was perceived at the time as potentially an important regional centre.
Criterion D Despite a number of late 20th century refurbishments, the building still illustrates the principal characteristics of a substantial, early 20th century, two-storeyed brick banking premises with classical detailing, designed to impress.
Criterion E The building is aesthetically pleasing, is located on a prominent site in the principal street of Gladstone, and makes a strong contribution to the Gladstone townscape.
Criterion G The place is considered locally as one of Gladstone's finest buildings, and is of landmark status.
Criterion H It is important as a fine example of the work of Queensland architect JPO Cowlishaw, and in illustrating the work of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney in central Queensland in the first half of the 20th century.
Kullaroo House was constructed in 1910-11 for the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Ltd, which moved into the building in June 1911. It was designed by Brisbane architect James Percy Owen Cowlishaw, who designed many of the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney's Queensland premises. The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Ltd had been formed in New South Wales by local interests in 1834, and had established its first Queensland branch at Maryborough by 1860. A branch was opened in Gladstone on 9 June 1897, long after the Australian Joint Stock Bank and the Queensland Government Savings Bank had opened offices there in the mid-1860s, but predating the Queensland National Bank  and the Commonwealth Bank of Australia . The move by the CBC into Gladstone in 1897 appears to have been associated with the 1896 opening of the Gladstone meatworks and extension of the northern railway from Brisbane to Gladstone. By the turn of the century the ubiquitous cattle tick was decimating the local grazing industry, affecting meatworks production and cattle shipments. This, coupled with the great drought of 1900-02 and the 1903 opening of the Rockhampton extension of the northern railway [which immediately deprived Gladstone of substantial port trade and passenger shipping], caused a crisis in business confidence in the town. The development of a local dairying industry, however, and the 1905 opening of a butter factory at Gladstone, did much to revive the town's fortunes, and the future of town and district appeared secure in 1909 when new Gladstone premises were being planned for the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney. Initially, the Bank had leased shop premises at 22 Goondoon Street, then in 1901 took a 10 year lease on premises at 30-32 Goondoon Street. As the expiration of the lease approached, the Bank made the decision to invest in new, purpose-built banking premises. The site at the southeast corner of Goondoon and Yarroon Streets, in the heart of Gladstone, was purchased in February 1909 for Â£600. Brisbane architect James Percy Owen Cowlishaw, son of early Brisbane architect James Cowlishaw, was commissioned to design the building, and the tender was let in May 1910 to AA Carrick of Brisbane, with a tender price of Â£4,650. In July 1910, the Bank appointed James Beattie as Clerk of Works to supervise construction. JPO Cowlishaw's design was for a two-storeyed building, with banking chamber on the ground floor and manager's residence on the upper floor. The Gladstone manager, Mr WB Thomas, was keen to see a building of some substance erected: The figures of the Branch and the good prospects of both town and district, entitle a fairly good building. With the splendid harbour here there is every possibility that in time the town will develop into one of some importance. . . . There was no local brickworks at Gladstone, and the manager recommended concrete rather than timber construction. However, when he saw the plans prepared by Cowlishaw for a two-storeyed building of face brickwork, he was delighted: The building will be by far the best in town, and a good advertisement for the Bank. Despite the contractor having some difficulty in managing the project satisfactorily, Beattie worked to ensured that the contract was completed, and the building was handed over to the Bank on 13 May 1911. Interior fittings were fixed, and the Bank opened for business in its fine new premises in June 1911. In the ensuing months a concrete retaining wall was erected at the rear of the site and along part of Yarroon Street, and picket fences erected on parts of both street frontages. The two-storeyed brick premises at the corner of Goondoon and Yarroon Streets served the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney for nearly 50 years. In the mid-1950s the Bank commissioned new premises in Goondoon Street [designed by JPO Cowlishaw's son, architect George Owen Cowlishaw of Ure, McNaught & Cowlishaw, Brisbane], which opened on 26 May 1958. In September that year, the Bank accepted an offer of Â£4,500 from Gladstone businessman Mr MA Busteed, to purchase the former banking premises [land and building]. From the early 1960s at least, the building was occupied as a boarding house, known as Kullaroo House. The name Kullaroo is believed to be an Aboriginal word meaning road that leads to water, and from the upper verandahs of Kullaroo House fine views of Gladstone harbour can be obtained. In the 1970s, new owners Goodwin, McKenzie, Forbes and Partners, lawyers, refurbished the building as law offices, retaining much of the original detailing. In the late 1980s Kullaroo House was used as a restaurant and in 1993 was acquired by the Gladstone Port Authority, which refurbished the building for office expansion. It is understood that at this time, most of the internal first floor partitions were removed. In 1996-97 further refurbishments were carried out and a large extension, imitating the original detailing, was constructed. Currently, both floors of the 1911 building contain office accommodation.
Description: Designer Name Cowlishaw, James Percy Owen
Period Early 20th century II (1900 - 1914)
Builder Name Carrick, AA
Construction Period 1910 - 1911
Constuction Method Load-bearing brick
Fabric (Exterior Structure) Brick - painted
Fabric (Roof) Metal sheeting - corrugated iron
Roof Form Hipped
Description Kullaroo House, the former Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Building, is a substantial two-storeyed brick building prominently situated in Goondoon Street, overlooking Gladstone Harbour. The building is rectangular in plan with a large extension, which is connected to the rear of the eastern corner of the building. The building has a double height verandah on three sides and a projecting double height entry porch The porch is detailed with classical elements. The building has a hipped corrugated iron roof with a smaller hipped section over the porch. Three tall chimney stacks, of alternating bands of light and dark brickwork project through the roof. The original layout of the bank contained the banking chamber and associated offices on the ground floor level, with the mangers residence above. When constructed Kullaroo House was face brickwork, the building has subsequently been painted and this diminishes the architectural articulation of the design. Kullaroo House is entered via a flight of stairs leading to the entrance porch. The porch is plastered brickwork which distinguishes it from the rest of the building. The plasterwork is rusticated, on either side of the entrance double height pilasters support a triangular pediment. The pilasters have composite capitals and decorative swags. On the upper level of the porch the arched openings have been enclosed and the space is used as an air conditioning plant room. The two storey verandah has a small projecting roof at first floor level and is detailed in timber with paired columns, slatted balustrade and valance. On the southern section of the ground level verandah, the balustrade has been removed and the columns have been sliced off above ground floor level and are supported by concrete plinths. At ground floor level all the major rooms associated with the original design of the building as a bank remain intact. The entrance porch opens onto the main banking chamber, which has all its original cedar door and window joinery, pressed metal ceiling and black marble fireplace. Part of the original cedar counter remains and has been modified for modern office use. The original safe is at the rear of the chamber and is intact with its patent fireproof door and domed concrete ceiling. Two large rooms open to the east off the main chamber. These rooms have cedar joinery, pressed metal ceilings and white marble fireplace surrounds that are intact with register grates and decorative tiles. A small room at the rear of the banking chamber has an external door to the verandah and leads to the stair hall which has an intact cedar staircase and pressed metal ceiling. An arched opening at the end of the stair hall leads to the section of the building constructed in 1996-97. Behind the stair hall is a large room that has been created from two smaller rooms; it has a dropped ceiling and a new door to the verandah. The stair case leads to the second level. On this level all the original ceilings have been removed and replaced with a dropped ceiling, with fluorescent lighting and air conditioning grilles. Most of the internal walls have been removed to create a large open office space. As this level was the residence of the Bank manager most of the rooms had french doors opening onto the verandah. The french doors remain, but benches and desks have been built across the doors so that they no longer operate as doors. The 1997 extension is set back from Goondoon Street, externally it mimics the classical detailing of the original building. The junction of the original building and the extension is marked on the roof line by a timber belvedere with a corrugated iron roof. The extension is not considered significant and is not included in the listing boundary. Cultural and Historical information from Queensland Heritage.
2007 photo of 1911 branch by Bob Wilmot.
|1958 Moved into the present new premises.|
"The new building is large and much more imposing than indicated in the photograph. It is of brick and concrete construction and designed to take full advantage of the prevailing sea breezes. The banking chamber and working space occupy 2,500 square feet of floor space and a further 1,000 square feet is taken up by strongroom, stationery and staff rooms. Counters and furniture are of light maple and the lino-tile floor is predominantly light green with occasional tiles of light grey and yellow. It is the most attractive floor I have seen and has caused widespread comment. The walls and high ceiling are finished in various pastel shades and the first and lasting impression on entering is spaciousness, soft colour tones and masses of windows, most of which look over the harbour.
The dominating feature of the outside design are the fixed vertical concrete louvres which enhance the appearance and give full protection from the western sun.
The residence takes up the whole of the first floor and is completely self-contained, even to laundry and clothes hoist. The building is elongated and the living and sleeping sections are separated by a 12 ft. wide space which runs the full width. This space, referred to as a Breezeway, has 8 ft. high casement windows for outside walls and the space acts as a funnel to ventilate the bedrooms which have glass louvres at ceiling height around their walls. This is an excellent idea, particularly during gales, as the doors can be closed and the louvres used to regulate the breeze in each room. Being at ceiling height, there is no draught.
Both bank and residence have been designed for coolness and it is a tribute to both architect and climate that we rarely have to open all the windows at the one time.
The architects were Messrs. McNaught & Cowlishaw of Brisbane and the builders Messrs. John Young & Son of Bundaberg and Gladstone." From article by O.C. McDonald as it appeared in Current Accounts July 1959.
1959 photos of branch and banking chamber from Current Accounts July issue forwarded by Frank Maundrell.
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
|Glassford Creek||As researched in Current Accounts July 1959, this picture shows the late A.B. Cadell outside his office. The original photo faded and a copy was drawn by the late Wally Rayment. This also faded and had to be redrawn for publication.|
|Goondiwindi is situated on the northern bank of the MacIntrye River, the state border of Queensland and NSW, 78 km from Brisbane and 804km from Sydney, in a sheep, cattle and grain area.|
Opened 1890 (84th Report);
closed 1892 (89th Report);
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report
2008 Brian J. Sandstrom advised that he was the last CBC Manager at Goondiwindi. "I was able to find some information in Current Accounts issue No.50 of January 1976. The article was written by M.E.Gall and I have since been in contact with him. He was also able to confirm the existence of the CBC at Dirranbandi.Qld. A large book safe in the Goondiwindi Manager's office was ex-Dirranbandi"
|Gympie|| ||Previously known as Nashville|
Last modified: 08/06/2009 17:39