OFFICERS CLUB Inc.

representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up

 

 

C - VIC Country

Camperdown 1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report
Carrum;

(receiving office of Chelsea)
 1934 Listed in Century of Banking;

1977 listed in Annual Report as Receiving Office of Chelsea
Casterton
111 Glenelg Highway

1880

2008
1880 Bank of Victoria and Mechanics Institute, Henty Street photo from PictureAustralia. 
Builder James Nation & Co of Melbourne (Coleraine Historical Society)

1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report

2008 Geoff Chapman says: Compare this GoogleEarth photo to that of Bank of Victoria held on file. I think this is ex Bank of Victoria/CBC with renovations and 2nd floor added.
Castlemaine
157 Barker Street

1959


1969






2009
Castlemaine is located amidst low red hills at the confluence of Barkers, Campbells and Forest Creeks, 119 km north-west of Melbourne via the Calder Highway and 39 km south of Bendigo at an elevation of 280 metres. Once a goldmining settlement, it is now a substantial industrial centre in a fruit-growing and farming area. The present population is about 7600.
Barker St. On the corner is the Criterion Hotel. The original Criterion was a two-storey timber building erected in 1853. The present building dates from 1883. These are the longest-continually-licensed premises in the city.
Adjacent is the CBC Bank (1856) which replaced an earlier iron structure belonging to the Bank of Victoria. It is the first of four bank premises on this side of the road. Next are the Oriental Bank Chambers (1862), now legal chambers, then the two-storey Classical Revival Bank of NSW (1854). The facade consists of five bays with arched doorways at each end. It is now the Bank of Melbourne. Adjacent is the National Bank, built in 1860 as the Bedford Arms Hotel.
The Former CBC Bank was built for the bank of Victoria in 1856 at a cost of 3600. The architect was Alfred Price and the builder, Mr A Duncan. It is a two storey Georgian bank symmetrically composed on all sides with a side wing at the rear. The construction is of face brickwork with store dressings and a bracketed slate hop- and-valley roof. The lower order has a central portico on Tuscan columns and heavily quoined surrounds to the segmental arched windows while the upper windows are rectangular with the central one picked out by a segmental pediment. The stringcourses and quoins are picked out on the facade in stone. The ground floor windows were originally covered by grilles and on the upper windows and cement balconettes have been replaced with wrought iron. The building is unusual in Victorian both for its age and its place in the early classical period of Victorian bank architecture. It is perhaps closer in inspiration to English Queen Anne through its picturesque use of classical elements and, as such, is unique.  [Source: Historical Buildings Council]

1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1959 photo by Kevin Greenaway.
1969 old Bank of Victoria vault from State Library Victoria
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
2009 September Google Maps photos sourced by John Beer.

Location: 157 BARKER STREET CASTLEMAINE, Mount Alexander Shire
Statement of Significance: What is significant?
The establishment of a branch of the Bank of Victoria in Castlemaine was first proposed in 1854, and this was subsequently opened in a temporary iron building. Late in 1855 tenders were called for a more permanent building and construction was undertaken in 1856. The architect was Alfred Price and the builder A. Duncan.
Castlemaine was first surveyed in 1852, after gold had been discovered in the region the year before. It grew rapidly as an administrative and service centre for the rich goldfields and, as a result, a number of banks were established in Castlemaine in the mid-1850s. The former Commercial Banking Company bank is a two storey Renaissance Revival building of face brickwork with stone dressings and a slate hipped roof with exposed bracketed eaves. The symmetrical front facade has a central entrance porch at ground level, simply conceived in a classical manner. This is flanked by arched windows with heavily quoined surrounds. The upper storey contains three rectangular windows, with the central one emphasised by a segmental bracketed pediment. The whole facade is defined by corner quoining.
By 1927 the bank had been taken over by the Commercial Banking Company.
How is it significant?
The former CBC bank, Castlemaine is of architectural and historical significance to the state of Victoria.
Why is it significant?
The former CBC bank, Castlemaine is of architectural significance as an early surviving bank building in Victoria. The unusual adoption of face brickwork rather than render for a bank facade also adds to its significance.
The former CBC bank, Castlemaine is of historical significance for its association with the rapid development of the goldfields in Victoria from 1851. It reflects the dramatic increase in wealth created by the discovery of gold and the subsequent demands on the banking system.
Year Construction started: 1856
Architect / Designer Price, Alfred
Architectural Style*
Victorian Period (1851-1901) Georgian; Pre-separation Primitive Settlement 1788-1835
Information from Victorian Heritage database sourced by Geoff Chapman.

Carlton
1930


1974
Photo 1930 submitted by Kevin Greenaway

 

 

1934 Listed in Century of Banking

 

 

1974 photos submitted by Kevin Greenaway

Charlton
52 High Street, corner Armstrong Street

1909


1923


1964


2009
1876 opened (from Current Accounts July 1964).
1964 photo at town's centenary in Current Accounts July 1964.

1975 Listed in Annual Report.

2009 August Google photo of ex-Charlton branch sourced by Geoff Chapman.
2009 September: Hello Geoff,
The building you refer to from Google Maps is the CBA building built in 1887 which eventually became Westpac and closed in the nineties.
The CBC building is situated at 52 High Street and is on the corner of Armstrong Street. It is still standing and after the NAB left Charlton became a clothing/ florist shop. It was built in 1938 replacing the original single story Bank of Victoria.
I've attached two photos. Image 1249 was taken during the 1909 flood and image 1282 was taken during the 1923 flood. (During a flood appears to be the only time anyone takes of photo of the main street.) We are in the process of cataloguing our photo collection so if we unearth any more photos of either the early Bank of Victoria building or the later CBC building , we will forward them to you.  Hope this has been helpful.  Regards
Carolyn Olive, Secretary, Charlton Golden Grains Museum


 
Chelsea
1969
1934 Listed in Century of Banking

2020 December Ken Clark sent photos of Victorian branches he worked at including Chelsea in 1969.

Christmastown 1861 - 1862 the Bank of Victoria conducted an Agency at Christmastown from Beechworth, advised by David Jobson.
Cohuna
79-81 King George Street




2009
from Cohuna & District Historical Society:
1909 Bank of Victoria purchased land 79/81 King George Street Cohuna
1912 Bank of Victoria accepted tender of C Munday of Tatura for construction of premises and premises were opccupied that year.  Undated photo from State Library of NSW.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking
from Cohuna & District Historical Society:
1943 Occupation of the premises by CBC came to and end - (Did the branch close at that time?)
1944 Premises became "The Melray Store" shop and residence
2009 October Geoff Chapman advises:
The present nab branch can be assumed to have been the CBC branch, as it is located at 79 King George Street being part of the site of previous BoV/CBC branch.
Commonwealth Bank is next door at 81 King George Street
As promised, Google Earth image of present nab Cohuna at 79 King George Street
This branch is on portion of the land (79-81 King George Street) of the original BofV branch
The other portion of the land (81) is occupied by CBA.
Colac
1: 17 Murray Street
2: 178 Murray Street
 Colac was a location where the Bank of Victoria was not represented

The 1st CBC Branch was at 17 Murray Street Colac. This single storey structure now forms dining room/restaurant, attached to but separated by a breezeway to the Colac Commercial Hotel
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;

Branch No 2 was operational from about 1960 at 178 Murray Street Colac. This building is now occupied by 2 businesses GMBH Heal Insurance, and Regional One Credit Union.  Advised by Geoff Chapman.
1975 Listed in Annual Report
Coleraine
B of V


2009
1873 January Bank of Victoria's first branch established.
1874 Allotment purchased and construction commenced.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking

2009 July Geoff Chapman attached a Google Earth image of ex BoV/CBC Coleraine.
Following are building/history notes from Coleraine Historical Society.
Place: Former Bank of Victoria
Address: 61 Whyte Street History
Construction date: 1874
The first branch of the Bank of Victoria in Coleraine was established in January 1873, and was managed by Mr Henry Chambers.
Allotment 2 Section 8 was first purchased by James Blair on May 20, 1852.
The Bank purchased this allotment in 1874 and the contractor James Nation and Co of Melbourne commenced construction in March. The architects were Smith and Johnson.
James Nation and Co was also constructing the Post and Telegraph office in Coleraine, the Bank of Victoria at Merino to the same design as the Coleraine branch, the Bank of Victoria at Casterton and a wholesale store for Mr Cue at Casterton. By August, work had begun on the second storey of the bank, but work was delayed by a shortage of bricks possibly due to the quantity of works being undertaken by Mr Nation in the district. The bank was completed in 1875 at a cost of about 4000.
Description
The former Bank of Victoria is a two storey corner brick building. The architectural style of the building is of classicism. This style is based on the revival of the principles of Roman architecture. The wall is articulated as a series of structural components based on the pier and arch.
The ground floor wall is articulated as a series of semicircular arched window openings and a corner door opening. Mouldings occur around the arched openings, horizontally at the springing of the arches, at the window sills, below the sills and a ground level plinth and base. The ground floor is divided from the first floor by a cornice.
The first floor wall is similarly articulated as a series of arched window openings surrounded by rectangular mouldings topped with a cornice. A horizontal moulding is above the windows and a moulded cornice is on the parapet.
Significance
The bank building, designed by Smith and Johnson and constructed in 1874, represents the culmination of an early period of development. It is of townscape value since it forms a dominant landmark and the design responds to the site. It is of architectural value and of local and state significance (see Appendix 7.4).
References
Sutherland, A., Victoria and its Metropolis Vol. 2, Melbourne, 1888, p.69 Township plan
1874-75 Ratebook entry C.A., March 27, 1874
Trethowan, B., A _Study_ of Banks in Victoria 1851-1931, Historic Buildings Preservation Council, 1976, p.11 C.A., August 28, 1874 C.A., July 31, 1874 C.A., August 28, 1874 C.A., Sep 2, 1892

2009 July David Jobson mentioned: "Just a bit on the Colerarine building, if you have a look at Wahgunyah Vic, it is nearly identical, I think the number of windows on each side are reversed. Also the old CBA ( The Commercial Bank of Australia Ltd) at Omeo is identical and which I have seen and photographed. Some of these architects were pretty busy in the old days and probably used the same plans!"
Condah


2010
1927-06-30 CBCofS Report Lists
Condah D J McDonald (Act.)
Wallacedale Receiving Office Agent and later "Sub."
1934-06-30 & later Reports "Sub." removed.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking.

1942 Closed. Business and Manager W H Hill, transferred to Hamilton in April.

2006 August Kevin Greenaway supplied the black & white photo of an unidentified branch at that time. Kevin says that as CBC Savings Bank Limited is on the fascia, it must have been in operation after 1956.

2010 March Located on cnr of Henty Highway & Condah-Hotspur Lower Road.  Three Google images sourced by Geoff Chapman, who also identified Condah as the mystery branch in the first black & white photo supplied by Kevin Greenaway.
Existence as ex-CBC branch confirmed by present owner Mr Jim Robertson, who purchased the building in 1974 following the closure of the Receiving Office, which was run from closure of the branch in 1942 until 1974, from Hamilton branch.
He states that the residence attached to the branch is, even by today's standards, spacious and comfortable
Mr Robertson advises that the Manager of the branch at the time of closure in 1942 was Wm (Bill) Hill.
Cowangie
1935


2010

Cow Plains



2020
 

1915 Bank of Victoria purchased land.
1918 Bank of Victoria Cowangie opened, Mr. Dyton appointed Manager.
1914-24 Mr Alday manager, was auditor for thee hall committee and helped obtain the new hall.
1924-0210 Extract of letter from Melbourne "I enclose O.S.A. No. 19/24, appointing you to the Manager of the Rainbow branch to which you will proceed immediately you have handed over to Mr Forrester".
1924-25 Mr P.R. Forrester appointed acting Manager. Extract of letter to Mr Forrester dated 14/10/1925 "On your recommendation I consent to the sale of the Horse & Jinker & harness at 5".
1932-1940s Mr. George Neate appointed Manager.  He prepared taxes free of charge for his customers.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking
1935 photo of the bank with CBC name over verandah and Bank of Victoria name on windows, with Mr. Hickman, G. Neate (Manager), J Duncan (Teller), J. Lewis standing at front, located by Brian Sandstrom in part of the restored "Cow Plains" homestead on the outskirts of Cowangie.
1938 when the Murrayville branch closed its business was transferred to Cowangie branch (some 20Km East of Murrayville)

Closed after the end of 2nd World War.  1940s onwards Building used as a private residence.

2010 June photos of the derelict CBC and "Cow Plains" homestead by Ex-staff member Brian Sandstrom sent by Geoff Chapman.  The building on the right of the homestead photo with the large brick chimney housed a lot of interesting information on Cowangie.
2020 current photo by Brian Sandstrom who says:
My wife lived in Cowangie during the war years and the 1935 photo includes her uncle Stan Hickman standing outside the Branch.
Cowwarr
(receiving office of Heyfield)
 1934 Listed in Century of Banking;

1975 Listed in Annual Report
Cranbourne
(receiving office of Dandenong)
 Was a full Branch at one time. On his retirement in the 1920's mentioned as a Branch to which Eric Mills was Accountant at that time (from Current Accounts January 1958).
1927-06-30 CBCofS Report Lists
Cranbourne J G Forrest (Agent) and later "Sub."
John Beer states: "It seems that each person in charge of locations listed as Agent / Sub-Branch was something like "Officer In Charge of Agency" who must have reported directly to Melbourne Office (not like a receiving office under the control of a branch).  Victorian Agents were renamed Sub-Branches till some were converted to Receiving Offices or Branches."

1934-06-30 CBCofS Annual Report :- "Sub-Branches of the Bank at Cranbourne & Patchewollock in Victoria
have been converted into Receiving Offices"
1934 Listed in Century of Banking

Home Up