It is logical that a branch would be established in Echuca in the 1800ís due to its importance as a river port.
1862 Bank of Victoria opened in temporary premises, then in 1863 moved to premises purchased at 591 High Street Echuca, built 1858/1860 (This property was originally numbered 622 but the street was renumbered in 1950ís).
On Heritage Victoria website a branch of the Bank of Victoria is listed as located at 622 High Street Echuca.
Notes on the Heritage Website provide the following information:
It was the original Bank of Victoria which opened in 1863. Built between 1858-1860 the attractive building has double doors opening onto a wooden railed balcony. French windows opened onto a brick paved, vine covered verandah at the rear. The front office featured a large cedar counter. This is a two storey building with an upper floor wooden railed balcony. There was a residence at the rear and above the branch. In 1864 cement rendering was applied to the building. (Heritage Victoria)
The first manager was E Gillies. Other managers were J L Archer (1868), A Boyd (1873), D Mills (1875), M F Condrick (1890).
Due to the general recession, the branch was closed on 30/12/1894 and the business transferred to Elmore.
Following the closure of the Bank, a Dr Fowler resided and practiced in the early 1890ís. It was then used as a Church of England Girls Grammar School between 1902-1907. The Rev Arthur Tress was responsible for the funding of the school.
1907 McKenzies and Co, Stock & Station Agents purchased the building. After using it for some time it was leased to a private family and was then sold to become the Aerlex Factory in 1946. 1962 It was purchased by the Central Tyre Service. (Heritage Victoria)
The building now houses a cafe and 3 safes are still in the banking chamber which is now used as the main dining area of the cafe.
2014 May: Above details from Heritage Victoria and from Echuca Historical Society, collated by Geoff Chapman.
2015 June: Geoff Chapman supplied a Google image of ex-Bank of Victoria branch, currently Courtyard Cafe.