OFFICERS CLUB Inc.

representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up

 

 

P - VIC Country

Patchewollock
(receiving office of Speed);

(receiving office of Ouyen)



2011


2011
1927-06-30 13 BOV locations listed as Patchewollock G F Neate (Agent)
1928-06-30 & later "Agent" changed to "Sub."
1934-06-30 CBCofS Annual Report :- "Sub-Branches of the Bank at Cranbourne & Patchewollock in Victoria
have been converted into Receiving Offices"
1934 Listed in Century of Banking as Receiving Office of Speed.

1975 Listed in Annual Report as Receiving Office of Ouyen

2011 September David Jobson advised: We took another trip to the Mallee district of Victoria a few weeks ago.
Pictures of Patchewollock are interesting. The small building on the left is the remaining Receiving Office of Ouyen branch (1975). What is left of the railway station can be seen in the second photo. Not known when the RO was closed, however the inside of the office (It was a local "History Centre" for a while, but now defunct) still has the counter, filing cabinets and safes there! I spoke to an old lady and her friend in the nearby general store who said that the bank ( they didn't know if it was CBC or NAB) closed the office "many years ago" but the cost of removing the safes was too much so the Bank left them there for the local community.
The old lady (who owns the general store and was born in Patchewollock) remembers when the original bank and residence was on the same block and was demolished and the little building built, however she can't remember when that was but it "was a long time ago".
All up a pretty vague CBC/NAB history of Patchewollock but it's a lot of fun talking to these oldies in these little towns. Without exception, they love their communities and like to reminisce about the long gone banks, railways (there's an abandoned railway station and line across the road there) post offices and schools - all gone from Patchewollock.

Penshurst
77 Cobb Street


2009


2009
FORMER BANK OF VICTORIA 1876. Became the Commercial Banking Co. of Sydney and closed in 1942. Weatherboard house at rear. C l860 's. Private residence.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking
1942 closed.

2009 GoogleMaps photos sourced by John Beer and Geoff Chapman.

2009 Bank of Victoria built 1876. CBC closed 1942 Now a private residence.Photo from Mt Rouse & District Historical Society found by J Beer
Piangil
Mallee Highway

2009
Piangil is 42Km NW of Swan Hill, across to NSW/Victoria border from Tooleybuc

1934 Listed in Century of Banking
2009 September David Jobson writes: "We went through Piangil 6 weeks ago on our way to Horsham. There's bugger-all there, a handful of houses only. The branch did exist at one stage but was probably a wooden building now long gone. It was listed in the 1934 bible - Jacob Mgr."
2009 September Geoff Chapman writes "A Google Earth image is attached of ex-BoV/CBC branch, now the RSL rooms
Date of closure of the branch is unknown but for many years a 1 day a week Receiving Office was conducted from Nyah West"
Port Albert
Cnr 2 Bay Street
& 78 Tarraville Road

1967










 
Originally Bank of Victoria.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;

1967 monochrome photo of Bank of Victoria No. 2 from State Library of Victoria.
1975 now a Maritime Museum.
Colour photo from National Trust - Victoria, also Heritage Victoria.
Statement of Significance:
The former Bank of Victoria (now Port Albert Maritime Museum) was designed by the architects, Robertson and Hale and was constructed c.1861. The bank was the second Bank of Victoria to open in Port Albert and it replaced an earlier branch which had opened in 1856 in a two-storey prefabricated iron store in Victoria Street. The former bank, now used as a maritime museum, is a single storey stuccoed building in the Conservative Classical revival style. The splayed corner positioning, the corniced parapet and the pedimented entrance and quoining all combine to emphasis the prominent position of the building in Port Albert.
The Former Bank of Victoria (now Port Albert Maritime Museum) is architecturally important as a rare and intact example of Conservative Classical revival architecture. The former bank is one of only two known surviving examples of the work of the architectural firm Robertson and Hale and is the only architecturally designed bank building, of its era, in the Gippsland region. The former bank remains as an impressive and significant example of a 19th century commercial building, designed and positioned specifically to communicate the importance of Gippsland to the rest of the State. The building demonstrates an early use of a parapeted classical revival form and is notable for its considerable age.
The Former Bank of Victoria (now Port Albert Maritime Museum) is historically significant for its relationship with Gippsland and coastal trading activities of the 19th century. The building was designed and erected at a time when
Port Albert was regarded as an important coastal trading port in Victoria and the style and siting of the building symbolise the once prosperous township of Port Albert, the projected expectations for its growth and the anticipated success of the Bank of Victoria in this region. The building is of historical importance for its association with the Bank of Victoria which was established in 1853, during Victoria's goldrush era, by Henry 'Money' Miller, MLC. The Bank of Victoria amalgamated with the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney in 1927.

In May 2009, 33 members of the Inverloch Historical Society Inc went to visit the Port Albert Maritime Museum. Recently restored, the Museum comprises two buildings the former 1861 Bank of Victoria and the former CBC Bank Office. It has a paved rear courtyard and outdoor exhibit area. Displayed outdoors are two boats over 100 years old, huge sea anchors, a sea mine and navigation buoys, just to mention a few items. A wealth of exhibits is on display inside. Shipwrecks in the 1850s around the coastline near port Albert were numerous the most notable wreck was that of the "CLONMEL" on 2 January 1841, on its second voyage in Australia. This is the oldest steamship wreck located in Australia. This wreck led, in part, to the settlement of the town in 1841.
Port Albert
(receiving office of Yarram)

1974
1974 pictured in Current Accounts January. The silly old cow made a deposit on the footpath, Ed.
1975 Listed in Annual Report
Port Fairy
10 Cox Street

1969
1934 Listed in Century of Banking

1969 photo from State Library of Victoria.
Port Franklin
(receiving office of Toora)
 1934 Listed in Century of Banking
Port Lonsdale
(receiving office of Queenscliff)
 1975 Listed in Annual Report
Portland
Cnr Julia & Percy Streets
 

1880

1856 in 2009
1858 Opened September in leased premises previously occupied by Union Bank of Australia.
1880 photo of the Union Bank from State Library of SA Mortlock Pictorial Collection B 21766/98.

2009 July Google Earth image of Union Bank building constructed in 1856 on Cnr of Julia & Percy Streets Portland
Now ANZ Branch
Portland
Cnr Julia & Bentick Streets

1914-41




2009

1860 Site for a branch was acquired.
1914-41 photo, Sally Deacon bricks used (State Library of Victoria)

1934 Listed in Century of Banking;

1940 the branch then built was replaced (from Current Accounts January 1959).
1975 Listed in Annual Report

2009 July Google Earth image sourced by Geoff Chapman is of what he believes is the later branch, Cnr Julia & Bentinck Streets Portland.  Comparing it to photo presently on file, appears to be the same, with "Sally Deacon" bricks rendered over and some alterations made. 
Sept 09 Geoff says this is the wrong building and a substitute will be provided shortly.
Possum Hill
1876
2009 September Geoff Chapman advised:
Following a gold strike at Possum Hill in 1876, the Bank of Victoria established a branch using a transportable building. Date of closure is unknown, but in 1881 the disassembled building was lying in the rear yard of the Bank's Dunolly branch, in anticipation of being re-erected should another gold strike be made in the area. Unfortunately this never happened. In the photo it is impossible to identify the staff
2019 November Geoff Chapman provided
the image of the Bank of Victoria premises erected at Possum Hill following the gold strike there. When the gold was depleted, the structure was dismantled and transported back to Dunolly and stored in the yard of those branch premises for future use if required, which it never was.  Photo supplied to Geoff by John Tully, Dunolly Museum.
Pyalong
(receiving office of Kilmore)
 1975 Listed in Annual Report

Home Up