Officers Club Inc.
representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up

 

 

F to J - VIC Country

Geelong,
34-36 Malop Street

1862

1866

1980

1957


1862 photo of Bank of Victoria from State Library Victoria.




1866 photo of Bank of Victoria from State Library Victoria.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking.

1980 photo of Bank of Victoria, Malop Street, since demolished, by DGM Francis, from National Trust - Victoria.


1957 photo of new branch from State Library of Victoria.

1975 Listed in Annual Report.

 

Geelong,
Yarra Street
 1975 Listed in Annual Report
Geelong West 1975 Listed in Annual Report
Glenthompson
c1960


2011
1942 Receiving Office had been conducted from Willaura branch until 1958.
1958 Branch opened 19th June (from Current Accounts January 1959).
Photo by Kevin Greenaway circa 1960.
1975 Listed in Annual Report.

2001 May Google image
of ex-CBC Glenthompson branch submitted by Geoff Chapman.
Hamilton
131 Grey Street


1959

1994
1858 Previously as "The Grange" until 1851, the first bank in Hamilton was Bank of Victoria, which opened in October 1858 in the Victorian Hotel.
1879 A few years later a bluestone building was erected on the site of the present branch, but it had a short life, and was replaced with a new building in 1879, the building still is use in 1959 (from Current Accounts January 1959).
1867 Built for Bank of Victoria
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report

Hamilton in Current Accounts Jan. 1959; see also Current Accounts Jan 1962 p52.

1994 photo by Ellmers, Grant. National Australia Bank, 1867. 131 Grey Street. Originally built for the Bank of Victoria. Hamilton (c) NLA
Undated colour photo from National Trust - Victoria refers to 131 Gray Street.

Harrow

Receiving Office of Balmoral






1990


2010
1872 Branch opened 23rd January by Bank of Victoria (from Current Accounts July 1971).
1874 Bank of Victoria building completed.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking.
1975 Listed in Annual Report

2010 FebruaryGoogle image of nab Harrow Vic sourced by Geoff Chapman, who notes:
Harrow Historical Society advise that the Bank of Victoria opened in and operated from rented premises while a branch building was being constructed.  The new building was completed in 1874.

2011 March Three photos from Harrow Historical Society forwarded by Geoff Chapman. The building was completed in 1874 and has served continuously as a branch of Bank of Victoria, CBC, and nab (1990 photo). 137 years in the same premises.
Hawkesdale
(receiving office of Penshurst)
 1934 Listed in Century of Banking
Heathcote 1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report
Heyfield
Cnr McFarlane & Temple Streets

c1904

2009


2011
1904 Bank of Victoria built.
1905-1920 Macfarlane and Temple Streets, Heyfield by Cornelius Gleeson.  The Bank of Victoria, built in 1904, is in the foreground. The buildings in the background include the old post office and Pat O'Connell's house. Some children on horses and a buggy are going up the street. From Monash University BD0004

1927 Bank of Victoria amalgamated with CBC.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report

2009 July Google Earth image attached of ex-Heyfield Branch, Cnr Macfarlane & Temple Streets Heyfield sourced by Geoff Chapman.

2011 December Kevin Greenaway advised: "I see that you already have a picture of Heyfield branch taken from Google Earth.  I was recently down there in Victoria visiting relations and took some up to date photos for you.
I relieved there back in the late 50s early 60s.
Hopetoun
1825

2010

2010
1925 Bank of Victoria shown in photo of Lascelles and Austin Streets, Hopetoun, sourced by Geoff Chapman.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking
Following closure of the CBC (date unknown) when business was transferred to Beulah, the building became the premises and residence of the local chemist for many years.

2010 Photo of the bank's strongroom door. Geoff Chapman advises that the strongroom is still in use.
2010 March Google Image of ex-Hopetoun branch and residence on the Henty Highway corner:
From information provided by Hopetoun & District Historical Society:
Although the front of the building has been changed, it is readily recognizable as the Bank of Victoria branch (& Manager's residence) which opened on 9/9/1925 on Cnr Lascelles & Austin Streets
The first Manager was H G Shilton
 For the past 3-4 years it has been utilised as a hairdressers.
The vault remains in place.
Horsham
1874 in 1962

1962
Opened 1866, closed 1869;
reopened 1872 and 2 storey building erected in 1874 (pictured) demolished to make way for new building occupied 13/3/1962.

1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1975 Listed in Annual Report

Photos in Current Accounts July 1962 including interior of new office.

Inglewood


2009
Inglewood is a small town about 40ks from Bendigo.

1876 Messrs Nation & Co of Melbourne erected the present double storey building for the Bank of Victoria which opened in November.
1928 name changed to The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited upon amalgamation.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking
1943 closed.

2006 The Inglewood and District Historical Society erected a plaque at the site which reads: At the time of the Great Fire of 1862 Roff, a fruiterer, occupied this site.  Once rebuilt it became premises of J.M. Pratt, auctioneer, then Thomas Phillip's Chemist shop until demolition in 1876.  Messrs Nation & Co of Melbourne erected the present double storey building for the Bank of Victoria, which opened in November 1876.  The Bank was amalgamated with the Commercial Banking Company of Sydney and was known by this name from 1928 until it closed in 1943.  Since then this building as been a butcher's shop.
Photo by David Jobson.

2009  photo by David Jobson, who says: The old CBC is in the main street on a corner and is presently a butchers shop. It appears that the building has been modified quite a lot from original, which was built in 1876 as the State Bank of Victoria, which is a pity, as it would have been a very attractive one in its day. A large part of it has been removed on the left hand side with exposed bricks at the top story and the large blank grey area on the bottom has been added on. In fact the modifications done to the old lady is pretty awful!
Irymple
(receiving office of Mildura)

1970
Irymple is 6Km from Mildura.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1970 New premises built (photo from Current Accounts July 1970).
1975 Listed in Annual Report

Home Up