Much of the conditions experienced during the first 100 years of the Bank's existence were recorded in the centenary publication "A Century of Banking".
This publication is available on CD for $10.
Interested in the Bank's heritage buildings? The Architects and their creations are listed in this article.
By 1892 the Bank had 152 branches; Head Office, 10 in Sydney, 127 in NSW country, 13 in Queensland and a London Office. By 1896 22 of the country branches had closed.
|The Bank issued its own currency - |
Brisbane Floods 1893
Correspondence from the Manager Brisbane to General Manager Head Office (in .rtf Word format).
This information was supplied by Ray Knight, who read excerpts to the December 2006 meeting.
To commemorate his 60 years' service in the Bank, the General Manager donated the sum of 5,000 pounds to inaugurate a fund for the relief of cases of sickness, distress or misfortune that may arise among Officers of the Bank. This sum the Directors have placed to a special account under the name of "The T. A. Dibbs Officers' Relief Fund." (109th Report, January 1908).
The Bank's Seal
A bit of info on the actual ship that is portrayed on the seal of the CBC Bank. It is the clipper "Thermopylae." and was similar to the famous "Cutty Sark."
The official CBC Bank seal has evolved over the years to its present form which depicts the trading vessel "Thermopylae" and its produce cargo. From an original painting by Australian artist and sculptor Dennis Adams.
Thermopylae was an extreme composite clipper ship built in 1868 by Walter Hood & Co of Aberdeen to the design of Bernard Weymouth of London for the White Star Line of Aberdeen.
She measured 212'0"×36'0"×20'9" and tonnage 991 GRT, 948 NRT and 927 tons under deck. The under deck coefficient was 0,58. Rigged with royal sails, single topgallant and double top-sails.
She was designed for the China tea trade, and set speed records on her maiden voyage to Melbourne -- 63 days, still the fastest trip under sail. In 1872 she raced the clipper Cutty Sark from Shanghai back to London and won by seven days after Cutty Sark lost her rudder. In 1895 she was sold to Portugal and used as a naval training ship. The Portuguese Navy torpedoed her at sea in 1906