681 George Street
|In course of erection 1873 (51st Report ); |
operating in 1892.
Early photo courtesy K Meyer, taken by his father-in-law, Charles Wiseheart, ex Mgr Nowra.
Later to be known as Haymarket branch.
2006 photo of ex-CBC (now City of Sydney Haymarket Library) by John Beer.
2006 photo of later branch (opposite Haymarket Library, now Bank of China) by John Beer.
|Staff Training Centre,|
|1957 Established above Broadway branch.|
Set up initially at 11 Broadway under management of Mr RG (Bob Taylor) who supervised moving to adjacent to Kings Cross branch.
1958 Transferred to Kings Cross.
Photos from Current Accounts July 1974
1977 Due to outgrowing the available space, Kings Cross Training Centre was closed in December, 1976.
See also Training and Recruitment Centre for N.S.W (below).
|Pictured is the old Head Office building after extensions in 1866, the facade of which became the front of the branch. Hilley designed the original 343 George Street Sydney C.B.C. Bank building built in the 1850s and now at Sydney University. |
1981-05-01 Current Accounts Vol 3 # 1 pg 32 :-
"At the request of Professor Leslie Wilkinson (Australia's 1st Professor of Architecture & Dean of the Faculty at Sydney Uni) CBCofS donated the original facade to Sydney Uni to provide additional accommodation for the Chemistry Department & to serve as an illustration of Gothic architecture.
1938-07-11 CBCofS opened a campus branch in front portion of "Bank Building".
Housed since 1938 in a building dating back to the 1850s. Bill Frost advises: The front facade of this building was that of the old Head Office building donated by the Bank when the new building was erected in 1924. I think this is covered in “A Century of Banking”
1965 approx photo by Bob Handel.
1965 September: The named chaps in this photo were members of Staff at Sydney University Branch (except Tom Byrne) to play a friendly game against staff of the University, somewhere in Marrickville. Pictures scanned from slides provided by Dave Shaw in 2009.
back row John Ness, Tom Byrne, unknown, Bob Handel, Charlie Wulff, Dave Shaw, Bill Byrne
front row Bill Peel, unknown, Neville Howell, Doug Tait, unknown, unknown.
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
1975 Travel Department commenced (from Current Accounts January 1977).
1982 Colour photo from NAB staff brochure "Building a better bank ..."
2009 July John Beer advised "No sign of any branch in 'Bank Building' Science Rd Sydney University. Wentworth Building 3rd Floor contains nab where Teller said the current Sydey University nab branch transferred from Science Rd 'Bank Building'."
2014 August Mike Hook advised: The façade was placed on the front & side of The Pharmacy Building, Science Rd. Where the Bank operated for decades until NAB closed ( one of our most prestigous branches) in about 2000. The Univerity was the oldest continuous customer the combined Bank had,,,since 1854. Hopefully they retained the connection & can service the University , staff & students thru Wentworth Building Branch.
See below for Wentworth Building agency/branch and Manning House agency