representing Officers and families of

The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited

and its subsidiaries & affiliates.

Home Up

Deceased - Mi to Mu

Geoff MILNE (21/3/2012)

  • John Drew advised: Sad to tell you an old mate of mine died yesterday - Geoff Milne. I saw him in hospital last Wednesday.
    I met Geoff when he was transferred in 1956 to South Grafton branch where I joined to Bank the year before. He went from there to Bathurst as Accountant then opened Terrigal branch in the early 1960s. He resigned in the late 1960s (I think) and operated a Real Estate business for many years in Terrigal. We kept in touch and had lunch at least once a year. He was 86. Notice in todays SMH.

Gordon MILLS (5/7/1920 - 29/7/2018)

David Wyndham          Gordon joined the bank on 1/2/1938 and retired on 16/9/1982.  He was a Life Member of the club and at the time of his passing also the oldest member.  He joined the bank at Scone and then followed moves to Parramatta, 11c Castlereagh Street and Crows Nest. He joined the AIF in June 1939 and served with the Army until January 1946.  He re-joined the bank at Chatswood then followed moves to Goulburn, Epping which he opened, then Gloucester, Grafton and Inverell. He was then appointed Manager Lending Victoria, Divisional Manager Victoria and was Chief Manager Lending in the Managing Director's Department Head Office when he retired. Gordon had a very successful career with the bank and as importantly was held in very high esteem by his friends and colleagues. He was a great supporter of the club and thoroughly enjoyed attending both the Sydney and Out of Sydney luncheons where he was able to catch up with his mates.

On his 98th birthday a small group of members was fortunate to gather with him, his son Bruce and Bruce's partner Ellie at the nursing home at St Ives where Gordon was living. We had a most enjoyable afternoon hearing Gordon's reminiscences of his bank and army days. We presented him with a special certificate to mark the occasion together with a bottle of good French champagne. In true CBC style Gordon insisted we not only open the bottle but ensure the contents were completely drained before we departed.


Margaret Powell            I was very sad to hear of Gordon’s passing. He was such a lovely man and told me many stories of Grafton where my father grew up.

Ian Holsten                  Gordon has been a real stalwart of the club attending several Country meetings  in recent years which was an inspiration to us all. Does this make Bill Butler our oldest Banker??

John Sharp                  Very sad news to hear of Gordon’s passing, but what a wonderful innings.

A small incident I always remember: whilst relieving the teller at Gloucester under his management, I purchased my first car, and had to obtain my Driver’s Licence. When I requested a short absence from the branch to do so he replied “certainly, John – I will give the Sergeant a call and tell him you are coming”. When I duly arrived at the Station, the Sergeant simply asked me for my name, date of birth and address, tapped out the information, and handed me my licence!  That was it.

Gordon Mills was a gentleman of the first order, and a pleasure to serve under – even if only for a 3 week period.

Denise MOHR (20/1/2015)

    Dear Members,

    Hard on the heels of our shock over Vic’s passing comes further sad news about our popular Member Denise Mohr. Poor Denise has been unwell for some time and she finally succumbed at 11.55 p.m. on Tuesday 20 January at The San in Wahroonga.

    Our sincere condolences to her husband Ted, son Steven, daughters Cherie Maffey, Louise Kelly & Betina Terrignon, and brothers Richard & Peter Beaumont for this not unexpected but nevertheless painful loss.

    When passing us this sad news Peter commented that it doesn’t feel so  long ago that Denise joined the bank at Marrickville Branch and she has been a great CBC supporter ever since, and of course he is right.


     Henry THORNE:   Kevin Nicol and I first met Ted at Cunnamulla in 1958, when we went on a football trip from Quilpie. Glenn Williams was with us and he played that day. 
    Then back in 1961, I was transferred to Liverpool and around 1962 I met up with Ted and Denise, who made me most welcome and in fact they had me stay with them that night, instead having to drive back to Moorebank.  Their kindness was much appreciated.  Denise always had a smile and a caring word to say – a very special lady.  Our thoughts go out to Ted, Peter & Richard and their families.

     Ian Holston:    Very sad indeed. I dropped Ted and Denise an email a couple of weeks ago and wondered why I had not heard back.  Very thankful that I had the opportunity of seeing them in December and received a very warm cuddle from Denise. She looked very thin but I was not aware that she was not traveling well.

    I worked with Ted at Liverpool back in the late fifties. Denise was at Marrickville when I was at Newtown and from memory she was going out with Noel Collie for a while and Ted appeared on the scene. She worked with June Judd at Marrickville.

William (Bill) H. MORELLI (17/3/1941 - 18/12/2021)

  • Wayne Linnert, President advised: Died peacefully on December 4th 2009 late of Turramurra, in his 103rd year.
    It is with sadness that I advise the passing of Bill who was a Life Member of our Club.
    Bill joined the Bank on 01/12/1956 at Cobar then worked at Woy Woy, Terrigal, Milton and Hamilton. His first managerial position was at Bateman’s Bay in early 1972 then followed Wee Waa, Lismore then Relief Staff NSW where Bill left the Bank on 20/08/1986.
    After leaving the Bank, Bill purchased Newsagency business at Spears Point and retired from there approx. 2003.
    Bill’s funeral service will be held at 11am on Thursday 23/12/2021 in the Rose Chapel at Palmdale Lawn Cemetery Memorial, Palmdale Road, Palmdale.
    The service will be live streamed at click of Palmdale then click on scheduled funerals then scroll down to Morelli, William for “link”.
    Our sincere sympathy has been extended to Bill’s family at this time.  I thank Richard McCredie for his notification

Eric George MOSMAN (4/12/2009)

  • Died peacefully on December 4th 2009 late of Turramurra, in his 103rd year.

Thomas Glen MOSS (4/2005)

  • Was known as “Glen”. Passed away on 8th April 2005

Michael Macreadie MUNCKTON (29/12/2019)

  • Ted Elliott: I regret to advise  having received a phone call earlier today from a long time friend, Col Hewitt, of  Michael, advising of his passing yesterday, Sunday, 29 December 2019 , in a nursing home in the Torquay. Vic area.
    His sister Jo Thomson, who also lives in the area, advised the Club of Michael’s move from NSW Central Coast some time ago. There is another sister Annette who lives in Tathra NSW 2550.
    It just so happened that Col Hewitt was visiting a daughter in Melbourne and was able to make a short visit to see Michael
    prior to his demise. No funeral arrangements have been formulated but these are expected to be more along the lines of a quiet private farewell. Any further information to hand I will pass it on.

  • Wayne Linnert responded: I personally have fond memories of having a chat & a beer with Mike at Club lunches and Horn of Plenty functions.

  • Alan Pitt wrote:  I first met Macreadie (as he was to be known in latter years) in 1952 when we were on the Staff together at Oberon Branch, he as junior and myself as ledger keeper under Sandy Booth the manager. We also shared a boarding house together and consequently became very close friends which lasted many years. Macreadie had been a boarder  at SHORE and excelled in the major sports being a member of the Second  XV team, played an excellent game of tennis and was very handy with his fists. Whilst in Oberon he played rugby league for the first grade local team. With Oberon being on the quiet side, and with an unforgiving Winter climate, a car of some sort would be essential we both jointly purchased for  53 pounds an 1923 Austin 12, complete with gate gears, and with the help of Bill Frost (Relieving Staff) restored the vehicle to driveable condition. This vehicle, with an unreliable starter, dubious  brakes and lights, became our escape vehicle. Local trips became the norm however the vehicle excelled itself with a trip from Oberon over second class roads to Pambula (where Macreadie’s father was Manager)   and return over 1952 Christmas period. Sadly, at a later date, the  vehicle was to be wrecked whilst negotiating a steep  incline on the Oberon/Mittagong road with Macreadie at the wheel.

    I was to meet up again with Macreadie in 1956 whilst sharing a room in Mrs Locke,s house in Maroubra Junction when he was Teller at Pitt Bathurst Streets Branch. Mareadie was keen to improve his boxing skills and took lessons and regular bouts at Ern McQuillan Boxing Gym and on one occasion he handed the strong room keys, of which he had custody,to a ringside second. Sadly after the bout the second was nowhere to be seen as was the keys. The following morning the Branch had to obtain duplicate keys from Head Office with Macreadie being appropriately reprimanded.

    Macreadie , though being seen as a traditional batchelor party man, eventually married in 1975 and with a short ceremony the major celebration was held at Kingsford Branch premises (where I was Manager) attended by a great crowd of CBC Staff where a party raged to the very early hours  much to the consternation of neighbours. Sadly the marriage had problems and was of short duration.
    Macreadie was extremely popular whith his customer base whilst at Haberfield and Neutral Bay  Branches always including them  with his frequent parties and luncheons and considered a great ambassador for the CBC Bank. Always impeccably dressed  he was  certainly great company when attending a good fight, rugby or tennis match followed by the customary libation or two afterwards. Sadly punctuality was not one of Macreadie’s strong points.
    His many and various exploits covering parties, dubious mates,motor bike,living in a car whilst at Orange Branch,time at Lithgow Branch and of course the 1923 Austin 12 are all stories yet to be told.

    Over the past few years Macreadie, suffering dementia etc had been in Care on the Mornington Peninsular where his younger sister Jo Thomson lived.
    He leaves two sisters with a brother predeceasing him.
    Vale  Macreadie, you will be missed by many of us.

Ken MUNRO (3/6/1993)

    23 JUN '93 16:43     FROM LEASING-ACCEPT DEPT           PAGE.001


Ex CBC staff will mourn the death of Ken Munro who has a very popular and respected friend and workmate.
Ken was born in Bundarra on 29.3.1911.  He joined the CBC on 1.3.1928 as the Junior at Gunnedah.
He was transferred to Moree in 1929, Goulburn 1931 and to Head Office on relieving staff in 1932.In 1938 he commenced a long
 career in Branch Securities. His banking service was interrupted by the 2nd World War.

Ken joined the 2/15 Field Regiment, 8 Division as A.I.F., on its formation in November 1940.     He went with the Regiment to Singapore in 1941 and was with it during the Japanese campaign on the mainland of Malaya and on Singapore Island.
After capitulation on 15 February 1942 Ken was a P.O.W. in Changi. In 1943 he went to Thailand to work on the construction of the Burma Railway. Living conditions in Thailand were appalling and working conditions were worse.In 1944 Ken went back to Singapore and from there by ship to Japan. Accounts of this journey have been told in several books but it is sufficient here to say that the journey from Thailand to Japan took nearly three months.
In Japan for the last year of the war Ken was on Shikoku Island working first in a Sumitomo copper mine and then in a foundry.
Throughout his army service Ken Munro enjoyed the friendship and respect of his fellows.
This information about Ken's military service has been supplied by his Lieutenant who was a fellow P.O.W. He spoke very highly of Sergeant Ken and praised his support during those terrible days. (Jim McCloy was also in the troop and we are told Jim and Ken made a great pair and provided much needed support on many occasions. After the war he became an active worker for the
welfare of former members of the Regiment. He was treasurer of the Regimental Association for many years retiring only two years ago when he reached 80 years of age.

Following Ken's discharge in 1946 he rejoined Branch Securities. His workmates were very concerned about his health at that time.
Ken was appointed Officer in Charge of Branch Securities in 1955. He then served as a Sub-inspector, Assistant Inspector,
Inspector and Manager Lending. He retired on 29th March 1974 and enjoyed 19 years of well earnt retirement in his home in Roseville. 

Ken was killed on 3rd June 1993 when struck by a motor vehicle on the way home from an army reunion. It is ironical that the driver was a Japanese.

Clyde James MURRAY (29/8/2020)

  • Geoff Chapman advised: Although Clyde was not a Club member, Geoff Chapman has provided us with some of Clyde’s career history.  He was Accountant at Armidale UNE branch, then first managerial appointment at Trangie,  followed by appointments  at Boggabri, Toronto & Gloucester. He was then attached to Taree branch performing district relief’s and other duties.  Clyde continued to work at Taree past normal retirement age.

  • Geoffrey Smith advised: Saddened to hear of Clyde’s passing.  Clyde took over from me as Gloucester Manager in January 1987. He also came to the ACT in 1998 but I am not sure for what role.


A - D    N - Q    R - Z

Last modified: 11/09/2020 09:14

Up Vic MARTIN AO Deceased - Mi to Mu