Officers Club Inc.
representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up

 

 

Melbourne Office (old)


 


 
1853 suitable premises were obtained and subsequently adapted to the purposes of the Bank , business was commenced at the Melbourne Branch on the 17th January. (9th Annual Report). 
1853 Closed 2nd May and business transferred to Bank of NSW (10th Annual Report).
Bank of Victoria
34-36 Collins Street
Collins Street East
251 Collins Street

251 Collins St



34-36 Collins St

1860 Collins St East

1864

1870

1934

1973

1862 The 3 storey building designed by Joseph Reed was a similar design to the Royal Mint. Heavy ornamental treatment on the bottom floor. Built at a cost of 40,000 in the Victorian period in the Renaissance Revival style. 
It was destroyed around 1956.
The architect Joseph Reed was awarded first prize for the design of the Bank of New South Wales Melbourne office. This facade was presented to the University and relocated when the bank was demolished in 1935. It has been classified by the National Trust as an object of interest and still lives on in a sense.

Bank of Victoria 34-36 Collins Street, from State Library of NSW, with Frank Madden, Solicitor at 32 & Metropolitan Permanent Building & Investment Society.


1860-c1869 Bank of Victoria, Collins Street East, photo from State Library of Victoria
 

1864 New Bank of Victoria South Melbourne from State Library of Victoria.

1866 Bank of Victoria Melbourne deposit slip from John McHutchison, who advised "The form was made out by John Atkinson a very prominent resident and Hotelier in Deniliquin."


1870-c1880 Bank of Victoria photo from PictureAustralia.


 

1934 Picture of Bank of Victoria, Melbourne in A Century of Banking in colour and Current Accounts Oct 1978 b&w.

 

1973 Facade of the original Bank of Victoria in Collins Street, donated to the National Trust when the new building was completed.

Melbourne Office,

257 Collins  Street,
Melbourne
 



1973

1974
Banking Chamber.
For a series of photos similar to these go to:
http://www.pictureaustralia.org
 

 

Photo from Annual Report 1973

There is a major feature on 257 Collins Street, Melbourne to celebrate its completion during 1973. The photos are of the interior and are reproduced from Current Accounts, January, 1974.


Trading Bank area, first floor



Savings Bank area, Flinders Land entrance.



Manager's Department, Mezzanine floor.



Board Room looking towards Executive Dining Room.



Travel Department, Ground floor.


Trading Bank area looking towards Collins Street.

1975 Listed in Annual Report.

Home Up