Officers Club Inc.
representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up

 

 

Eastern Branch,
148-150 Bourke Street
146 Bourke Street
 
1934 Listed in Century of Banking
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
203 Elizabeth Street This branch was opened at 274 Bourke Street by Bank of Victoria,
1930 it relocated to 185 Swanston Street, then
1937 moved to Elizabeth Street.
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
332 Flinders Street 1934 Listed in Century of Banking
144 King Street

1969
1969 photo by L. Fowler from State Library of Victoria, sourced by Geoff Chapman.  Interior photo sourced by John Beer.

1975 Listed in Annual Report.
131 Queen Street 1934 Listed in Century of Banking
140 Queen Street 1975 Listed in Annual Report.
R.A.S. Showgrounds  1975 Listed in Annual Report. as receiving office of Western branch.
Staff Training Centre
203 Elizabeth Street
 1958 First course commenced 5th February (from Current Accounts July 1958).
Situated above Elizabeth Street Melbourne branch.
185 Swanston Street
1930-37

 


1962

 

 

 

1900 The first Swanston Street branch opened at 274 Bourke Street in 1900, being the first Bank of Victoria Branch to be opened in the city of Melbourne.
1930 that branch was transferred to leased premises at 185 Swanston Street.
1930-37 photo of leased premises from Current Accounts Jan 1963 p31.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1937 That building was sold (To State Savings Bank of Victoria) and the branch moved to a building at 201-209 Elizabeth Street and is known as *203 Elizabeth Street. 
============
1961 On 26th June a new Branch opened at 185 Swanston Street when the Bank re-purchased the building which they had sold to The State Savings Bank of Victoria in 1937 on a site occupied by a an earlier Swanston Street branch from 1930 to 1937.
1962 interior photo from Current Accounts January 1963 together with article "The Gyrations of Swanston Street":
"Our Swanston Street branch opened in Bourke Street, moved to Swanston Street and ended up in Elizabeth Street. In fact, it is still in Elizabeth Street, but we now have a branch in Swanston Street: confusing?
"The first Swanston Street branch opened at 274 Bourke Street in 1900, the first branch of The Bank of Victoria to be opened in the City of Melbourne. In 1930 the branch was transferred to leased premises at 185 Swanston Street which, as can be seen in the accompanying illustration was a small converted shop. In 1937 this building was sold to the State Savings Bank of Victoria and the branch moved to a building which the bank bought and subsequently remodelled at 201-209 Elizabeth Street.
"The State Savings Bank of Victoria occupied the Swanston Street premises until 1961 when it moved to new premises further along the same street, and we then bought their old building. Thus on 26th June, 1961, after a lapse of 24 years, 185 Swanston Street was back in business as a branch of the C.B.C."


1975 Listed in Annual Report.

Western Branch,
Temple Court,
422 Collins Street

1965
1926 opened (from Current Accounts January 1964)
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;
1965 December photo by L. Fowler of Royal Insurance Group & Temple Court branch from SL of Vic. sourced by Geoff Chapman.
1975 Listed in Annual Report.
114 William Street 1977 listed in Annual Report
Stationery Store
Queensbridge Street
South Melbourne

1975
1975 Melbourne Stationery Store pictured in Current Accounts Jan 1976

Home Up