1970s in 2008
|Photo courtesy of Frank Chapman|
1911 branch opened 1st April at Main Road, Aberdeen
1934 Listed in Century of Banking
1941 closed 31 December and converted to a Receiving Office of Scone branch.
1947 re-opened 15 May.
1972 after semi-trailer accident moved into new premises at Segenhoe Street.
1980 July 21 the branch relocated to Shop 1, Aberdeen Valley Fair, New England Highway and became a sub-branch of Muswellbrook.
2008 Geoff Chapman advises: Following the sale of the premises in the 1970's, a pharmacy operated in the ex-Branch for a number of years. The premises are now an extremely well maintained private residence. Also took photo of ex-Aberdeen branch building/residence and obtained info on use after closure. Also took photo of shopfront to which the branch relocated in the 1970's. Will send photos later
"Aberdeen Valley Fair", the small shopping complex to which the branch relocated in the 1970's. The premises in "Aberdeen Valley Fair" from which the Branch operated from the 1970's until closure. The branch was in the shopfront at the far left of the photo. Photos of original branch, which was sold in the 1970's, and "Aberdeen Valley Fair" to which the branch then relocated, were December 1008 by Geoff Chapman. Date of cessation of branch representation is unknown.
2018 June closure of branch reported by David Jobson. He obtained the following from Helen Cadzow, Historical Services Manager, nab: Managerís list.
1911 - 1911 Thomas Honeyman (Actg Mgr from 1 April to 27 April 1911)
1911 - 1913 J.D. Nisbett
1913 - 1928 J.R.D. Walker
1928 - 1930 M.L.M Sheperd
1930 - 1939 H.E. Griffith
1939 - 1941 A.V. Burgess
1947 - 1950 A.W.Storer
1950 - 1956 E.H. Heath
1956 - 1960 F.J.Whittington
1960 - 1973 T.S. Kelaher
1973 - 1977 G.E. Irving
1977 - 1980 D.G. Mudford
The remains of the original town of Adaminaby (known as Old Adaminaby) and the surrounding pastoral region, now located below Lake Eucumbene, are of State heritage significance. They demonstrate more than a century of pastoral development, the growth of a town, early 20th century copper mining and mid 20th century transient labour camps as well as lifestyles, commerce, transport routes, social connections and traditions that were abruptly obliterated by the filling of Lake Eucumbene dam in 1957. Lake Eucumbene was the first and largest of the dams comprising the Snowy Scheme. It was a critical component of the Scheme that was one of Australia's greatest engineering achievements, a marker of the optimism of Australia's postwar reconstruction and a project of national historical and economic significance.
The impact that the flooding of the Eucumbene Valley to create Lake Eucumbene dam had on a small local community gained national prominence as the events surrounding the relocation of the inhabitants of Adaminaby and the surrounding pastoral region were followed all around Australia. The exposed relics of Old Adaminaby and the surrounding region are important for their associations with an identifiable group -- the displaced inhabitants who carried with them to new locations a sense of loss and deprivation, and their descendants who today have great cultural regard for the exposed sites and relics. These are evidence of a discontinued way of life, customs, associations and traditions that were abruptly terminated. They represent a particular consequence of the development of the Snowy Scheme, for the displaced community of 1957 and their descendants.
The places and relics have potential to reveal further information regarding the century of European pastoral, urban and industrial development in the valley as well as serving as evidence of events which shaped the economic development of the nation and the nature of the lives of its population.
Only two towns have been purposely flooded to create dams for the Snowy Scheme. Adaminaby was the larger and more significant of the two towns, and the flooding of Lake Eucumbene impacted on the greater number of people. The exposure of the sites and relics of Old Adaminaby and surrounding districts half a century after their inundation is unexpected, remarkable and unique and has vested in the revealed relics a high level of significance, both for the immediate descendants and for the wider community.
One exposed relic, the Waterous steam engine, is rare world wide, and is one of only two other known complete examples: one located in Australia at Inverell and the other in the northern hemisphere.
- In January 1954 the residents endorsed Adaminaby's new location in a referendum.
This was the Authority's first experience of relocating a community which had been established a century earlier.
- There were people in the town and district who had never been to Cooma, let alone a big city.
- Families had lived, worked and developed businesses in the town and surrounding rural areas for generations.
In the 1950s Adaminaby comprised a main street lined with Victorian buildings including some graceful two-storyed verandahed shops and hotels and a number of single-storey colonial stores.
- There were houses and cottages dating back to the mid Victorian era and many masonry buildings indicating that people had built to stay.
- It was virtually no different to other Australian rural towns which had the support of a strong local rural economy. A photo has been seen on internet of Adaminaby old township including riginal CBCofS building that was transported to new Adaminaby
- After a century of development, the town and established community were uprooted and relocated.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking
1950s Two photos of snowed-in branch, Harry Luscombe shovelling snow..
1956 photos of the building being moved in two sections;
the staff in temporary premises in the pub;
Truck attempting to move the safe.
1956 On the move photo by Stewarts Information & Gallery.
Heritage Listed: relocated from Old Adaminaby
1960s postcard showing Adaminaby branch as the two storey weatherboard building with the darkest walls, submitted by John Beer.
1962 slide photo by Bill Morelli.
1977 photo by Andrew Watts, son of Noel Watts, who was the last manager there before it became an agency.
2005 photo by Bob Handel, as moved to high ground.
2006 photo by R Raymond-Jones
2007 photo by John Hughes
Andrew Watts says: "I took some shots of the Adaminaby building on the same family holiday in 2007 as the Ariah Park photos below. I have also discovered some colour slides my grandfather took of the building being moved in 1956. The slides have been protected and the colour looks so vivid they could have been taken yesterday."
2011 February photos by Frank Maundrell