A G Adnum (retired) passed away 27 October 1960 (Current Accounts 1961 January Pg 13)
Gary R Adnum I January 1983 was Manager Warialda, had a brother Tony working in CBC.
Tony O Adnum 1 January 1983 was Reserve Staff Manager.
Cyril Avery was Manager Grenfell (followed Alan Plowman) in the 1950s, Tumbarumba, Kingston ACT, Nowra from where he retired.
Mrs Avery died whilst he was at Kingston.
Had children work in CBC:-
Leigh Avery and Miss Avery, both in the 1970s.
Kay, Bev and Noni were sisters working the the Bank.
Kaye joined at Royal Exchange under Les Cornell who was Accountant there. Later Kaye worked at Burwood and Stock Exchange where she was Ledger Supervisor then George & Hunter Streets, Haberfield, Premises, Personnel, then Regional Manager's Clerk Relief then Money Market.
Kaye's sister Bev worked in HO and
sister Noni worked in the new Parramatta building
Mr. A R H Barlow 1928 joined CBC at Gloucester then to Gosford, Walgett, Camden, WWII RAAF service, Head Office;
1972 May 28 retired from HO Personnel to his retirement home in Campbelltown (1975 January Current Accounts Pg 84) . His two sons worked for CBC:-
Peter was an Audit Clerk and later a Credit Analyst working in Lending NSW. Peter, Senior Credit Analyst NSW Lending was appointed Assistamt Manager Parramatta.
Then he purchased a Newsagency in the McGraths Hill vicinity. Peter passed away about 2005 following lung illness.
Tony (AA Barlow) was a brother to Peter. Tony was Manager at branches including Oaklands and Berry then Bowral from June 1985. In 2006 Tony was living in Queensland and attends retired officers functions in Brisbane.
Miss Pam Barry was Ledger Supervisor Tamworth 400 Peel Street in 1959.
Philip John Barry, brother of Pam joined the bank in the 1960s and later worked in Head Office. Phil, late of Balgowlah, died on 9th February 2008.
W A Baxter (of WA Baxter & Co Lawyers occupiers of CBCofS building in Gunnedah) was probably brother of RA (Bob) Baxter and father of Michael Baxter.
Miss Baxter married to Mr Packer is probably daughter of Michael Baxter Collated by John Beer.
Baxter R A (Bob) :-
1927 joined CBCofS at HO then country branches
WWII RAAF then:-
relieving staff, Bank Education Service, Auditor
1957 new Staff Officer (from 1958 January Current Accounts Pg 36).
John Beer's uncle, Fred Carpenter joined at Head Office in 1925. then Coonamble & 27 NSW country branches then Petersham 1949 & Accountant Kingsford in 1952. In 1955 Fred returned to HO including in charge of Safe Custody 343 George Street and Fred retired from Bonds & Debentures 8 July 1971.
John & Doug’s grandmother was Maggie Woods whose sister’s granddaughter Marjory Gregory married Jim Harborne on 3 February 1962. Jim was Manager Lidcombe, Griffith, Bega, and Richmond. Jim and Marje have retired to Taralga from where Jim is still entering chooks and cattle in agricultural shows where prizes continue to be received, continuing in the tradition of Marje’s father Bill Gregory (Keera Station, Bingara) who was a successful presenter of cattle in agricultural shows.
John joined at Tamworth branch in 1959 where Robert T Bryen was Manager and from Tamworth
relieved at branches in NW to Brewarrina & down New England Highway to Belmont. Then to 2IC Gulargambone, Temora, Baulkham Hills, Internal Audit Clerk, Relieving Manager, Manager Darwin, retiring as a Manager Internal Audit in 1992.
Doug Beer, John's brother, worked at Uralla branch.
Bob Beer, John's brother co-drove John's car towing Manager's ex-Tracy Residence to Darwin where the two drove non-stop except for a day in Mount Isa where John obtained tropical clothing suitable for Darwin including white shirts shorts socks which was what all Bank staff wore whilst working in Darwin Banks. Bob took the photo of John by his car on last of the dirt section near Mount Isa which was a relief to get through following the heavy rains in the top end after cyclone Tracy turned into tropical low heavy rain in the area (had to detour via Boulia to miss the boggy sections and even then it was tough going with roads in very poor condition)
John Beer advised: "The Railway operations at Werris Creek were unique & one significant part of the economy & employment for the town. John B worked at Werris Creek more than once & would wait at Werris Creek Rail Junction from midnight to 3am for the train from the south east to Narrabri when travelling from Tamworth Railway Station to relieve at branches north/north west of Werris Creek."
Beer Les 1970s approx was Manager Cootamundra had son John a schoolteacher in Belmont area
- above was no known relation of John Beer who joined CBC Tamworth 1959-06-02
- Noel was Audit Clerk then Auditor and retired as a Manager Internal Audit about 1985 to a home he built in Queensland then to Noosa Heads.
- Ray was Noel's brother. His son Rod told us that when he was of school age, he and his father were at Charleville, Stanthorpe, Innisfail, Woodenbong ( about 1958 when there was no electricity available to be connected to CBC Woodenbong premises so Ray had to provide his own kerosene refrigerator), Cunnamulla (where he was the youngest manager at the time, being 39). Ray then was at Pittsworth, Stanthorpe again, University of New England Armidale in the 1980s, Ipswich and then Brisbane on relief staff until his retirement. Ray was well known for the charity works he conducted over 30 years. He passed away in 2000.
- Rod (55), Ray's son, was himself in the bank from 20/3/72 until February 1975. He went from Queen & Creek Streets Brisbane to Alderley, and was No. 1 Teller at Burleigh Heads. After that he studied and then went to Arnotts Brisbane where he became Head Office Accountant and now works in Sydney for Multiplex internal audit. He rediscovered the CBC when he came across the website in 2007.
- Eric O Bensley - 1981 Manager Grenfell then Condobolin
- Rick Bensley was Eric O Bensley's son at one time at Harden CBCofC (from John Beer). Rick Bensley was manager at Kiama when I was manager Milton in the early 1980s. Rick was a Vietnam conscript (from David JObson).
- Jon was Manager at branches including Rockingham WA.
- Jon’s daughter, Donna worked at branches including NAB Tanilba Bay in 1985
- Frank Border was at Bingara, then somewhere, then Taree late 1950's/early 1960's. He retired from that Branch
- His daughter Helen was on Taree Branch staff and later was at CBC Health Society in Head Office.
- Geoff Border was Manager Cowra, and his two sons
- David and Greg both worked in the Bank, and both worked in Darwin branch, David on opening of the branch in 1971, and Greg in 1974/5.
- Ann. Born 13/9/1946
Joined Bank through Glenn Weiss at Candelo and was appointed to Pambula under John Thacker in about 1963.
Transferred to Bondi Junction 1967. Then to Elizabeth Street under Bob Baxter.Early l970 was one of 6 female officers to complete the Tellers Course and from there appointed as teller at Hurstville under Russ Henville (great man,had something like 32 accepted disabilities from his time on the Burma Railway but continued to work until retirement age died not that many years ago)
Retired ? from Hurstville in 1971 to have the first of our 3 children.
- John. Born 19/6/1942
Joined Bank at Taree; appointed to Gresford Jan 1958
Then, aymond Terrace, Macksville then Kogarah (big shock to system)
1966 NSW relieving staff under Harold Lee
1968 Appointed to Staff Department
1971/72 Audit Clerk
1973 Back to Staff Department
About 1975/76 (Whenever St Leonards opened) Personnel Officer St Leonards Centre
Back to Staff/Personnel department after about 6 months, Did various jobs there including relieving Manager Personnel,Manager Personnel Staff Lending and looked after the Relieving staff plus other bits and pieces. Worked closely with Norm Hanlon and George Carman.
1981 Manager Bangalow branch which ran a sub-branch at Byron Bay
1982 Two branches split so looked after Byron Bay only (thank goodness). Byron Bay sub branch converted to a branch after which John was Manager Byron Bay branch with a new Manager appointed to Bangalow branch.
1983 Appointed Manager Hamilton here in Newcastle
1984 Resigned and went in to own business.
- G.C. Bowman joined CBC in 1911 at Aberdeen branch. He spent 3.5 years with the forces in World War I. He became manager Kogarah in 1930, 1933 manager Petersham, 1938 manager Kingsford and retired from Kingsford in September 1958 (from Current Accounts January 1959 p51).
1974 July 2 passed away (from Current Accounts 1975 Jan Pg 59). John Beer states: "I knew G C Bowman when he moved to Cremorne after retirement.in the early 1960;s. He had lost a leg in the Great War but drove a manual gearbox car (there were no automatics) and was a good lawn bowler."
- Geoff C, Mr. Bowman's son, known as Cam, was also appointed Manager of Kogarah branch in 1971 (from Current Accounts July 1972).
- He had a brother who retired from Lindfield branch some time after this, according to John Beer.
- D B Bowman joined CBC in 1923 at Head Office. He retired from Canberra branch on 16 July 1967 to live at Palm Beach Qld.
- He had two daughters on Canberra staff.
- D B Bowman is the fourth son of the late PS Bowman (Manager Glen Innes
1917-1933) to enter the bank's service. (from Current Accounts January 1968 Pg 82)
- William Daley (Bill). Born 1916
Joined CBC around 1941. Was Manager, Paddington in 1971. Lived at Wollstonecraft. Died 19/12/1973 aged 57.
- Evelyn Madge Boylan (nee Gilchrist) formerly of Blaxland, late of Rhodes was the wife of W.D. Boylan, died 18/4/2017 aged 94.
- Roy Bray
- HO Local Exchanges Dept
- Had son Col
- Col R. Bray
- Born 1919/20
- Joined CBC. Col's first branch was Eugowra, thence to Baradine, took over from Frank Border as Manager Taree, handed over Taree to Peter Burms, Picton, Tamworth, Relieving Staff in December 1978. From Tamworth, Col purchased a retirement home at Pheasant's Nest (somewhere near Picton) from where he operated as a Relieving Manager.
- Sometime after his actual retirement, he relocated to a Retirement Village in Port Macquarie. Regards Nev Hillenberg
- 2005 July died aged 85 years. He had been living at Port Macquarie at the time of his demise.
- Graham Foulcher was very sorry to read of the death of Col Bray. Whilst Graham was at Picton he saw a great deal of Col until he moved to the Port Macquarie area. His father (late Roy Bray) was Graham’s Dad’s (Roy Foulcher) first boss when Roy Foulcher first joined the Bank as a Junior in Head Office (Local Exchanges Dept. in those days.
- H.E. Brook was Manager Parramatta. His son:
- H.D. Brook joined CBC in 1933 at Ganmain. In the 1930s he was at Bribbaree, then Ungarie and The Rock. During World War II he spent 42 months in the Army. He was appointed Manager Walla Walla in 1958, was then on Audit Staff and Manager Gosford before being appointed Assistant Inspector in 1965. He was then Inspector (Divisional Manager), Chief Manager NSW and Bank representative on CBC Health Society. He retired 14th April 1977. He was also Vice President of CBC Sub-Branch of RSL.
- C. Roy Brown, born 1921, was Manager at branches including Werris Creek and Camden before working in Lending NSW and later Regional Manager.
When at Camden Bill Green was Accountant. A customer used to refer to Mr Brown / Mr Green as Mr Black / Mr White.
In WWII Roy was Manager of guns. There was an item in Current Accounts where Hanleys Removals had got an army item used as door stop mixed up between Roy's belongings and those of his son Bill where the army item used as a door stop ended up with Bill's items at Adaminaby / Candelo / Cooma.
- Roy's sons also worked in CBC until shortly after the merger:.
- Ian Brown
- Charles William (Bill) Brown was on relieving staff.
- Mr. Keith Burge was a branch Manager on NSW's South Coast.
- His son Ross Burge followed his father into CBC, being Accountant Griffith then Manager of branches including Barellan in the early 1970s. When Ross left the Bank he drove taxis in Newcastle. Ross was tragically killed instantly in a horrific motor accident. Stopped by a flagman at roadworks on New England Highway, a semi trailer rammed into his small car from behind and basically ran over the car, reducing its height to about 60cm.
- A sepia photo of John (Jack) Edwards Burgess taken in 1911/1912 is on this website under Comboyne branch was sent in by his grandson Terry (see below). The horse was his mode of transport at that time. CBC Circular No.557 dated 14/11/1911 advised, "Mr J E Burgess is appointed manager of Comboyne Branch." Terry Burgess sent in a sepia photo of Jack Burgess and his mode of transport (horse) taken at Comboyne 1911/1912. Terry believed Comboyne Branch was only open for about eleven months and would have closed by the end of 1912. John (Jack) Edwards Burgess was transferred to Mudgee in 1912. He served in the CBC for 47 years.
- Jack Burgess' son J (Jasbo) Reg Burgess was born in Mudgee in 1913 (real name Reg, known as Jasbo). He joined at Warren branch in 1930, and later served at 11 NSW country branches including Mandurama and Parkes before his appointment as Accountant Moruya. After the death of his wife he was appointed to the relief staff and says he worked at more than 124 branches in NSW before his retirement on 8th July 1974 after 45 years service. "My retirement has completed a total of 115 years CBC service for our family My father J E Burgess had 47 years, I had 45 years, my son J T Burgess is Manager of Griffith branch with 17 years and my daughter Lesley was in the CBC for 6 years before her marriage". From Current Accounts 01/1975.
- Reg Burgess' son J. Terry Burgess worked at branches including Delegate, Condobolin and as Manager Griffith in July 1974 and Armidale. In August 2005 Terry sent photos for www.CBCBank.com.au to use in compiling the list of branches on the website. He is involved in the week long Rotary Bowel Screening Programme.
- Reg's daughter Lesley Burgess was in the CBC for 6 years before her marriage.
- Tom Byrne Joined Bank in 1957; Resigned 1982
- Tom married Dianne Hough (CBC officer 1961 to 1965)
- Margaret Byrne (Tom's sister) Joined Bank 1963; Resigned 1973
- Margaret married Jim Phelan who joined Bank 1960; Resigned 1982
- John Byrne (Tom's brother) Joined Bank 1974; Resigned 1987
- John married Irene McGuinness NAB Officer 1972 to 1986
- Mary Byrne (Tom's sister) Joined Bank 1962; Resigned 1973
- Bill Byrne (Tom's brother) Joined Bank in 1957; Resigned 1982
- Bill married Elizabeth Warren (Caringbah Branch 1964 to 1975)
- Elizabeth's sister Anne Warren was also in the bank (Cronulla Branch during 1970's)
- Mr. Campbell married and had three sons:
- Roy Neville Campbell, born c.1909/1910
Roy joined CBC around 1926, was at CBC Grafton, teller Condobolin
Married Isabel Eleanor (born c.1908/09 and died 1/3/1981 aged 72 late of Port Macquarie - SMH 6/1/1981).
Roy was Manager Cudal in 1960, Manager Tottenham in the 1960s, and retired from Manager Scone in the 1970s.
Roy died 1/12/1981 late of 5 Nelson Street, Port Macquarie aged 71 (SMH 3/12/1981)
Their children were:
- Ian Andrew Campbell
Born c.1942, he joined CBC around 1957, working at Bathurst, Broadway, Trangie, Launceston and Tamworth.
He married Robin, and around 1970 he was Accountant Briffith under Manager Jim Harborne.
1977 Manager Gulgong, and 3/12/1981 Manager Bowraville.
- Alistair Neil Campbell
Born March 1943, he joined CBC around 1960 and worked at Cudal, Tottenham, Nyngan, Cobar, and Werris Creek and was on the Relief Staff.
In the 1970s he was an Audit Clerk, and Auditor in 1972.
In the 1980s he was Manager Pennant Hills, from where he resigned to operate a gift store on the Gold Coast.
He married in 1986, and by 2007 is living separate from his wife after 21 years of marriage.
2007 he lives at Empire Bay from where he works seven days a week driving a bus under 8 tonnes to special schools and Sydney as Charter Driver. His son aged 24 was training to be an electrical engineer and his daughter was working for a nutrition company.
- Elizabeth Anne Campbell
In the 1960s and 70s she worked at CBC Scone and Muswellbrook.
She married Alan Curtis and in December 1981 was living at Rutherford.
- Archie Evan Campbell, born c.1910/1911
Known as Evan, he joined CBC around 1926 and was Manager Bundarra. His wife died and he then went to branches including Wollongong and was a Relieving Manager, from which he retired around 1970. He was living at Terrigal in 1981 and died 4/10/1944 aged 83 late of Kincumber (SMH 8/10/1994)
- Allan Keith Campbell, born c.1912
Joined CBC and worked at Richmond and Parramatta branches and possibly Head Office.
In 1981 he was living at Castle Hill. He died 21/8/2001 (Newcastle Herald 21/8/2001).
- Frank U Chapman
- 19100428 approx born
1926 approx Frank joined CBCofS
1973 approx Frank retired from CBC
20100428 approx turned 100 with party on NSW Central Coast
20100430 approx CBCOC sent $100.00 cheque to Frank U Chapman
2010 May Geoff Chapman said Bill Morelli advised that it appeared in a Central Coast Newspaper death notice of Frank Chapman aged 100
20100518 it was confirmed Frank Chapman aged 100 deceased Central Coast is not CBC’s Frank U Chapman
- Arthur George Chapman
- 1900 approx. born
Known as "Chappy"
1950s when he was well into his 50s Arthur married Betty Medway from Gunning
1958 or earlier Chappy was opening Manager Surfers Paradise
1958 July Current Accounts Pg 24
1958 September Arthur George Chapman opened Kings Cross Branch
1958-1962 Norm White worked with Chappy at Kings Cross
1962 about late 1962 Chappy was transferred from Kings Cross to the Newcastle area, possibly on relief for short period, then 1960s Manager Newcastle West
1968 Chappy and Betty had one child, daughter Pamela born about 1968.
1974 March approx retired from Manager Newcastle West when Sam Clough took over until 1977 April when Bill Steele took over then 1981 Geoff Chapman Chappy remained in the Newcastle area and
1988 January 3 died at Charlestown aged about 88.
A lot of above info came from Sam Clough / Norm White.
- Geoff Chapman said there is no relation between A G Chapman and Geoff Chapman:
- CBC Wollongong
Geoff married Betty Manager :-
1975 January Relieving Manager
1978-81 Batemans Bay
1981-86 Newcastle West taking over from Bill Steele who followed Sam Clough
1977 April Geoff took over from Bill Steele to be Manager Newcastle West
- Geoff's sister:- Miss Chapman also worked in CBC
- Bill Cheadle - Grafton branch (from 1961 January Current Accounts Pg 36)
- L H Cheadle - Manager George & Hunter Streets.
- David Choice worked in the CBC for around 10 years prior to resigning to work with ABN AMRO. David passed away suddenly on 12th January 2006.
- Peter Choice, who is one of our members, is a brother David.
- W (Bill) Clement, Accountant Condobolin went 1929 to be Manager new branch Tottenham then Manager Eugowra (Century of Banking Pg 80)
- Tom W Clement, Manager Wee Waa 1969;
- R (Bob?) G Clement, Manager Barellan 1969 (from Current Accounts July 1969 page 49), also Manager Ulladulla in the 1980s (from David Jobson)
- John Cecil George Clulow was born 1922/3; married Sarah Irene (Sally); father of John and Madeleine.
Manager at branches including Mayfield and Armidale.
- John's daughter, Madeleine was on the staff at Hamilton branch. She had a serious car accident; married Brian Atkins.
- JCG Clulow's son John was at St. Leonards Centre. He married Olwen and their children are John Evan Clulow and Michael Clulow.
- Note from a Current Account (c. mid 1920s) that a Miss Haxby, an officer at Head Office, (see also 'Haxby' below) married J.V. Cotton, father of:-
- John Vernon Cotton, believed to have been born July 1926.
1940 attended Sydney Grammar School at same time as Kevin Meyer
Husband of Joan, father of Alison, Heather and David
• 1950s Accountant Tamworth then
• 1960s Manager Kogarah.
Father-In-Law of John and Catherine; Pa of Melinda, Sophie, Laura and Joshua
• 2008 March 17 Monday pm passed away. March 20 Thursday SMH Pg 25 Death Notice:-
• 2008 March 25 Tuesday Thanksgiving Service at St Martin's Anglican Church 98 Arnold St Killara
• In lieu of flowers donations to Parkinsons NSW.
- 2008 March 18 Tuesday "Kevin Meyer advised:
John passed away last night as you have probably heard.
John and I met at Sydney Grammar school some 68 years ago and have been great friends ever since.
Greg Crotty, of West Ryde emailed us in May 2007, he advises: "What a great site !! The CBC Money Managers were in most NSW country towns - I remember the old Skippy Money Boxes.
I was not an employee of CBC but a very loyal client at Delegate branch as was all my family.
Both my brother & sister worked for them for many years."
- Winsome was the first female Accountant appointed in Queensland in the CBC Bank. She had MS and had moved to Queensland. She originally came from Murwillumbah. Winsome was 55 and passed away peacefully in her sleep on 20/7/05. Service was at the Anglican Church Murwillumbah ( All Saints) 1.oo p.m. Monday July 25 2005, at which Ian Holston sang a Psalm.
- Vic I Crowley was Winsome's brother.
Vic was on relieving staff including relieving Accountants and Managers. He resigned from the Bank to live at Murwillumbah.
Last modified: 15/08/2017 17:43