Officers Club Inc.
representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up

 

 

TimeLine Architects

1850 s John Hilley designed 343 George Street
1857 Bank of Vic Beechworth - Smith & Watts

1858 English born William Wilkinson Wardell (1823-1899) arrived in Melbourne, Australia in 1858. Having already established himself in England as an ecclesiastical architect, he became one of Melbourne's most significant early architects.  Soon after arrival he was appointed chief architect for the colonial government of Victoria and later became inspector-general of public works overseeing many of Melbourne's early major projects. Despite these official positions, he continued his private practice.
An exponent of the Gothic Revival movement,  W W Wardell's churches include
St Patrick's Cathedral and St Ignatius Church in Richmond in Melbourne, and
St Mary's Cathedral in Sydney.
W W Wardell also designed Melbourne's Government House and the Venetian styled banking chambers for the ES&A bank.
1859 saw the building of the old ES&A Bank Kiama a large, austerely simple, two-storey, white Georgian house with cedar skirtings, architraves, doors and windows and oregon floorboards. Built originally as a store - the largest in the district. 1859 the ES&A Bank Kiama rented office space within the building.
1850s/60sVictoria Stores were once located at the rear of the ES&A Kiama building.
1875 this adjunct to ES&A Kiama was pulled down, probably when the ES&A Bank purchased the entire ES& Kiama building in 1875

1861-1876 L. Smith, in combination with various partners, including Johnson and Watts, was architect for the Bank of Victoria, and the banks designed show great diversity.
As a group, the banks designed by Smith and his partners epitomise the best qualities of conservative classicism and as such are regarded as important.

1862 251 Collins Street Bank of Victoria designed by Joseph Reed
1862 The 3 storey building designed by Joseph Reed was a similar design to the Royal Mint. Heavy ornamental treatment on the bottom floor.

Bk of Vic 251 Collins St was built at a cost of 40,000 in the Victorian period in the Renaissance Revival style.

1865 John Hilley designed CBCofS Dubbo's - original branch
1867 birth of James Percy Owen Cowlishaw

1871 Campbelltown - Mansfield Brothers
Bourke, designed by Mansfields
1872 165 Pitt Street designed by Mansfields
1873 Parramatta designed by Mansfields
1873 City Bank of Sydney, Pitt Street, facade re-erected at Santa Sabina, Strathfield designed by Mansfields
1875 Milton designed by Mansfields
1878 Camden designed by Mansfields
1878 Wollongong & stables - Mansfield Brothers
1880 Parramatta Town Hall designed by Mansfields
1880s Cowlishaw trained with architect J J Clark and in
1881 Kiama - Mansfield Brothers designed by Mansfields
1881 Yass designed by Mansfields
1882 Wagga Wagga - Mansfield Brothers
1883 Lithgow designed by Mansfields
1884 Narrandera designed by Mansfields
1884 Warren - Mansfield Brothers
1884 ES&A, 135 Queen Street, Berry Photo by Frank Chapman. William Wilkinson Wardell
The Berry ES&A bank is a fine example of one of Wardell's more modest projects. 1884 when ES&A Kiama was designed was at a time when WWWardell was expressing 'his newly discovered love for Italianate,
Palladian and Venetian architecture'. See NSW State Heritage website for more details. Statement of Significance: The Berry Museum, former E.S. & A Bank building, is of State Heritage significance through association as ES&A Kiama was designed in 1884 by the prominent Victorian architect William Wilkinson Wardell.
The ES&A Kiama building is an aesthetically distinctive building designed in the Victorian Gothic or Scottish Baronial style and provides a significant landmark in the township of Berry.
The architectural style and detail of the ES&A Kiama building clearly expresses Wardell's design philosophy and provides an important research resource relating to late Victorian period architecture.
ES&A Kiama's building's heritage significance at a State level is enhanced by the rarity of the item, it is one surviving example of Wardell's suburban and regional Banks, built in the small scale with Northern European architectural influences. As such it is a benchmark example, which demonstrates the principle characteristics of this group of five buildings characterised by the warmth and domesticity of architectural design and scale.
1885 ES&A Kiama re-design William Wilkinson Wardell
1885 Moss Vale - Mansfield Brothers
1885 Cowlishaw joined the Public Works Department for a short time as a cadet,

1885 ES&A Bank added extensions designed by WWWardell in

1885, designed by William Wardell, including the ES&A Kiama building's downstairs ballroom.

1800s ES&A building Kiama was the birthplace Sir George Fuller, NSW premier in the 1920s.
The ES&A Kiama building is an aesthetically distinctive building designed in the Victorian Gothic or Scottish Baronial style and provides a significant landmark in the township of Berry.

The architectural style and detail of the ES&A Kiama building clearly expresses Wardell's design philosophy and provides an important research resource relating to late Victorian period architecture.

ES&A Kiama's building's heritage significance at a State level is enhanced by the rarity of the item, it is one surviving example of Wardell's suburban and regional Banks, built in the small scale with Northern European architectural influences.
As such it is a benchmark example, which demonstrates the principle characteristics of this group of five buildings characterised by the warmth and domesticity of architectural design and scale.
ES&A Kiama building is an aesthetically distinctive building designed in the Victorian Gothic or Scottish Baronial style and provides a significant landmark in the township of Berry.

The architectural style and detail of the ES&A Kiama building clearly expresses

Wardell's design philosophy and provides an important research resource relating to late Victorian period architecture.

1885 ES&A Kiama re-design William Wilkinson Wardell
1886 Lismore designed by Mansfields
1886 saw the building of the former English Scottish & Australian Chartered Bank 135 Queen Street by W W Wardell.

The ES&A 135 Queen St building is unusual with an asymmetrical stepped facade and interesting casement windows.

ES&A 135 Queen St was built of Flemish bonded brickwork and is probably the only survivor of about six country banks that William Wardell (1823-1899) designed.
Wardell designed the E S & A Bank head office in Melbourne, acclaimed as 'the most distinguished building of the whole Australian Gothic-Revival Era'.
____ Newtown CBCofS William Wilkinson Wardell
1886 ES&A Chartered Bank, 135 Queen Street, Melbourne William Wilkinson Wardell
1887 City Bank of Sydney, Kiama - Mansfield Brothers
1887 architect Cowlishaw returned to architect Clark's office in 1887.
1887 Maitland designed by Mansfields
1888 Waterloo - Mansfield Brothers
1888 Braidwood - Mansfield Brothers
188? Forbes designed by Mansfields
1889 Tumut designed by Mansfields
1889 Berry designed by Mansfields
1889 Morpeth - Mansfield Brothers
1889 Tamworth additional residential wing at back - Mansfield Brothers
1891 Bundaberg designed by Mansfields
(Mansfield completed 5 bank buildings in Queensland between 1861 and 1891)
1896 Cowlishaw was in practice on his own account.
1897 Paterson designed by Mansfields
1897 Lismore remodelled designed by Mansfields
1899 Childers CBCofS was designed by J P O Cowlishaw
1900s approximately Cowlishaw's work is known to have included the Brisbane Gas Co Offices, Petrie Bight and the Lady O'Connell Wing Brisbane Children's Hospital.
1900s J Percy Owen Cowlishaw was architect to the Commercial Banking Company and designed many of its buildings in Queensland
1903 Waterloo alterations - Mansfield & Son
1904 Cessnock designed by Kent & Massie
1906 Dubbo - later branch designed by Laurie & Heath
1806 Wee Waa (timber) designed by Philip E Ranclaud
1910 Moree
Tamworth (extension of strongroom) - Ranclaud & Thomas
Henty designed by E R Laver
1911 Lockhart designed by E R Laver
1911 Lismore remodelled designed by Mansfields
1911 Bondi (for Mr Thomas Stacey) - Alfred Allen Mansfield
Temora, designed by Mansfields? because it is very similar to Moss Vale designed by Mansfields
1911 Lismore remodelled designed by Mansfields
1912 Corowa designed by E R Laver
1920 Lake Cargelligo designed by E R Laver
Ariah Park designed by E R Laver
The Rock designed by E R Laver
Ganmain designed by E R Laver
1920s John Hilley was involved with the facade from 343 George St to Sydney University branch
1920s J P O Cowlishaw no longer practiced architecture
1921 Newcastle Hunter St designed by Kent & Massie
High & Church Streets, Maitland - Fowell, Mansfield, Jarvis & McClurcan
Sydney University alterations & agencies - Fowell, Mansfield, Jarvis & McClurcan
1935 Albury - Proposal to renovate previous premises designed by Kent & Massie
1936 Albury - New premises designed by Kent & Massie
1936 Lismore designed by Kent & Massie
1938 Brisbane Office - Cnr Queen & Creek Streets designed by Kent & Massie
1956 approx Bk of Vic 251 Collins St was destroyed by fire.
1960s Mon Vale designed by Kerr Smith & Malone
1967 Current Accounts July p35 - Head Carpenter, Harold Larking and French Polisher,
Arthur Laybutt with the scale model of Brisbane Office which they restored. The model was originally built for the bank by Messrs. Kent & Massie, Sydney architects.
197? St Leonards Centre designed by Kerr & Smith
Auburn designed by Kerr, Smith & Malone
Double Bay designed by Kerr, Smith & Malone
Pyrmont Store designed by Kerr, Smith & Malone

 

Home Up