Young history from Current Accounts # 14 Jan 1958 P 4/5:-
1826 James White squatted at Burrowmunditroy
1827 or later Aboriginal name of Burrowmunditroy was shortened to Burrangong
1828 White called his property Lambing Flat
1860 a party of stockmen pitched their camp at Lambing Flat
Interesting that the name of the local radio station is 2LF (see Lambing Flat).
1861 January Oriental Bank opened in Young
1861 Apr Bank of NSW opened in Young
1861 July NSW Government renamed Lambing Flat as Young after Governor John Young
1861 Chinese Immigration Restriction Act was passed
1874 transition from gold to agriculture was almost complete
1886 railway was established
1860 or earlier CBC Yass was buying gold just after it was discovered at Lambing Flat. CBCofS Yass Branch was officially opened in 1858 under the management of R W Pearson who remained in the position for 36 years. Part of Mr Pearson's duties included the buying of gold on the fields of Lambing Flat before the opening of the CBCofS Young branch. (from Current Accounts January 1975 page 47)
1861 Mar CBC opened in Young under management of Mr JL Cobb
1861 Opened 25th March (Current Accounts July 1961 & Aug 1981). Mar 26: 1st ledger entries at CBC Young.
1874 In course of erection (51st Report);
1893 January Listed in 89th Report;
1934 Listed in Century of Banking.
Lynch Street former City Bank building Heritage Listed.
1948 CBCofS building completed
1958 Current Accounts report by W K Campbell Manager
1981 Article in Current Accounts Pg 18-20
2004 photo of 1941 premises by Frank Piccoli
2013 June John Ramsay advised: The old premises at Young demolished and rebuilt 1941 had a ballroom
New premises at Young had as Architect Massie.