Officers Club Inc.
representing Officers and families of
The Commercial Banking Company of Sydney Limited
and its subsidiaries & affiliates.
 

Up
Cor-Cow NSW Country

 

 

Cora - NSW Country

Cob - Cop Click "Up" at left.
Coraki
85 Richmond Terrace

 

 

 



2005

2007

2008 Elders

2009
1878 the Commercial Bank opened a branch in Coraki and in that same year the township grew considerably with the sale of a number of town blocks on which many of the grand old houses of the day along with several new shops were erected (Quote from “Northern NSW”).

1879 Opened (62nd Report);

1881 land and weatherboard buildings including the still existing stables purchased from the Yabsley family.*

1901 Present building erected;*

1911 listed in 125th Report;
1934 Listed in Century of Banking;

1940 Branch operations ceased on 31st December.
*

2005 photo by Geoff Chapman who says "Coraki local history book "Boomtown Battlers" mentions the Branch as having suspended operations for 1 month during the "bust" of 1897. At that time the AJS Branch closed, never to re-open. An early Manager, Mr Osborne, was mentioned in the book. From 1941 until recently the building has been utilised as a doctor's surgery and residence. *  Now undergoing transformation to a restaurant. The old strongroom is to become the wine cellar".
* From the notes of Dr P Ulrick, past owner of the property.

2007 transformed into Deja Vue seafood restaurant Northern Star 1/3/07 sent in by Alan Cook

2008 August Geoff Chapman advises: Following building restoration, and conversion to a restaurant/residence, the ex-branch premises have been advertised for sale at $695,000
 
Originally Built in 1902 as The Commercial Bank and Managers grand residence, it was seen as a sign of confidence in the commercial strength and prosperity of the area. Below is an extract from the book " Where the Rivers Meet" Coraki 1840 to 1915 from the year 1902.
"On the commercial side, business seemed to be very good. That was even more enhanced by the opening if the Commercial Bank's new premises. Mr R.P. Napier, resident manager felt very proud to be the occupier of such a magnificent building. It certainly was a masterpiece and one of the finest in the district. The following description bore testimony to that.
The roof with exposed beam ends was of red Marseilles tiles. These coupled with the clinker brick exterior, high gables, turned wooden verandah posts, and a distinctive shingle pattern under the entrance gable under the entrance gable gave it a grandoise appearance. French doors with eight foot long shutters at each side and rectangular fanlights over the interior doors made it the most exquisite building in the town. Inside there were pressed metal ceilings with varying patterns in every room. Four plain marble fireplaces had been selectively installed in the main rooms. To the average person, that building certainly certainly depicted a prosperous future for the area."
"Over the years that fine building has been well maintained . When the bank ceased operation in the 1940's Doctor B.C. Terrey purchased the property and converted the premises to surgery and residence. The location proved excellent for the towns doctors"
The practice changed hands a number of times until it ceased operation as a doctors surgery in 2001 and was sold to the current owners. It is currently used as a fine home, with the bank rooms used as an a la carte restaurant.
This Magnificent building, so rare on the North Coast of NSW, being only 20 minutes to the coast and the commercial hub of Lismore, 1 hour to Byron Bay and 2.5 hours to Brisbane, is now Heritage listed.
Before the current building was built, a weatherboard home built by the Yabsley family was on the site and was used by the bank from the 1880s until it was demolished to make way for the new building in 1902. Part of the original home, and the original stables, both dating from the 1870's are still in use today!
Situated in approximately 1/2 an acre, the property overlooks the Richmond River and would make a fine home, or you could continue to run a Restaurant or other commercial enterprise (subject to council approval) in the bank rooms.
Again, It is very rare to find a property of this stature and significance on the Far North Coast of NSW.
This fine property is being proudly marketed for the owners by Michael Walker of Elders Real Estate, Lismore


2009 January GoogleMaps photo sourced by John Beer.

Coramba
1997





2009
Coramba is a prime example of where early settlements were made where there was fresh running water already available.
As water management became more elaborate, the fresh water was able to be made available on coastal areas, resulting in settlements such as Coramba moving to the coast. 

Opened 1906 (116th Report);  Opened February in a room of Martins Hotel with G B Mosman as Manager.
1911 listed in 125th Report;
1931-1938 Annual Reports list Nana Glen Rail Receiving Office.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking.
1949 Lyons Kierans first appointment was to Coramba, according to John Beer.
1956 closed Saturday 4th August with business transferred to Coffs Harbour Branch which opened on Tuesday 7/8/56, due to Monday being the Bank holiday. Manager at the time of closing was N P Goodrich. Note and photos by Geoff Chapman.
1997 photo by Ian Holston.
2009 February notes and photo from Geoff Goodrich:
My father Norm Goodrich’s first branch was Coramba, NSW in 1955. he was transferred from Inverell and his role was to close the branch and open Coffs Harbour. By this time the population of Coramba had dropped to 200 and Coffs had a population of around 5000. We spent 6 months in Coramba before moving to Coffs. I recently returned to the area to find that Coramba branch housed an accountant’s office was operating from the old manager’s residence and a credit union had recently opened in the  chambers.
Ca - Ci
Cu
 Click at left for continuation.

Last modified: 07-Jun-18 13:59

Home Up Cor-Cow NSW Country