117 Vincent Street
We held a Mystery Branch guessing competition to raise funds for the Tsunami disaster in 2005 and Frank Chapman correctly guessed the branch. Frank was a Teller at Cessnock exactly 70 years ago and he was very pleased to enter the contest and collect First Prize.
Forde Leathley presenting prize to Frank Chapman 2005.
|1904 Opened (113th Report)|
1934 Listed in Century of Banking.
1935 B&W photo by Frank Chapman when he was a Teller there.
Of historic significance as evidence of the confidence of external commercial enterprises in the continued wealth of the coal resources of the South Maitland field (Source: Pike, Walker and Associates, 1994). One of the few major banks to establish in Cessnock in the post war period and the best example of the Classical Revival in the Centre. Prominent building in an important part of the street (Source: Purdon Associates, 1992).
Designer: Kent & Massie
Physical Description: Two storey classical styled bank originally of brown face brick with cream painted columns and glazed brick decoration (Source: Pike, Walker and Associates, 1994). The major modifications to the building is the painting of external brickwork and flamboyant colour scheme (Source: Purdon Associates, 1992).
1993 photo from Cessnock Council
Further Information: Inter-war Academic Classical
Historical Notes: Built at the time of consolidation of the mining towns following the initial surge of population and development in the first decade of the century. Its imposing architectural style illustrates the bank's confidence in the wealth of the coal resource in the 1920s. It is presently used for office and retail space.
2004 August Colour Photograph
2012 February Kevin Greenaway was visiting Graeme Stevenson at Tweed Heads last Sunday and he showed Kevin some old photos he had of a few Branches Kevin thinks he worked at, including this one.
|Chatsworth|| ||Chatsworth is on the Pacific Highway 10Km North of Maclean. 8 miles North of Maclean on Chatsworth Island, on the north arm of the Clarence River. At one time this was a very busy centre, with 5 hotels and a change station for coaches.|
1880 Opened (65th Report);
1882 Opened and
1888 closed and business transferred to Maclean (according to Current Accounts July 1970). After closure of the branch in 1888, with business transferred to the newly opened Maclean branch, the premises were leased to J Murray for 7/- a week, and in 1895 were sold to H J Daniels for $300. Note from Geoff Chapman sourced from Maclean District Historical Society.
1888 closed (80th Report)
|Chinderah (receiving office of Murwillumbah)|
|Chinderah is 8Km South of Tweed Heads|
1923 Nov 6 Newspaper article from the Brisbane Courier and photos of Turnock's Store from Trove.
BLAZE AT CHINDERAH.
STORE AND HALL DESTROYED.
MURWILLUMBAH, November 5 1923
A general store at Chinderah, occupied by M. Turnock, and owned by Mrs. Turnock, totally destroyed by fire on Sunday night. When the alarm was given the flames had a good hold on the building. A bucket brigade was formed, but was unable to subdue the flames, and efforts were directed to saving the hotel adjoining. In this, the volunteers were successful, though the wall caught alight more than once. Turnock's building and contents were insured, but he estimates his loss at £2000 over the insurance.
1934 Listed in Century of Banking.
1931to19490630 Chinderah RO listed in Reports
2008 Ian Holston advises that Chinderah agency of Murwillumbah branch was conducted in old Turnock's Store, now demolished.
|Clarence River district|| ||1851 "Select Documents of the 19th Century" edited by HW Nunn states that the bank had an agency at Clarence River district - Board Minute 28 November, 1851.|
| ||Click at left for continuation.|