|Safe Custody Vault|
|During construction of Barrack House in 1923, this 30-ton door was brought along Martin Place and into Barrack Street on a jinker drawn by 20 horses. It was lowered from street level to the floor of the vault by sliding it down a hill of sand.|
Photo supplied by Kevin Greenaway.
Note how floor sinks to allow safe door to move.
2010 November two photos by John Ness